Pledge to live heart healthy in 2012. Get a free badge or banner to post to your website or blog.
The Heart Truth
A National Awareness Campaign for Women About Heart Disease
Risk Factor Spotlight: High Blood Pressure
The Heart Truth® campaign talks a lot about risk factors. Risk factors are conditions or habits that make a person more likely to develop a disease. The most prevalent risk factor for heart disease—high blood pressure—affects 1 in 3 American adults. The condition itself usually has no symptoms. You can have it for years without knowing it. During this time, though, high blood pressure can damage the heart, blood vessels, kidneys, and other parts of your body.
Knowing your blood pressure numbers is important, even when you're feeling fine. If your blood pressure is normal, you can work with your doctor to keep it that way. If your blood pressure is too high, treatment may help prevent damage to your body's organs.
During National High Blood Pressure Education Month this May, The Heart Truth joins its partners in sharing information, tools, and tips to help you manage your blood pressure. Check out these resources:
- Your Guide to Lowering High Blood Pressure: Are you interested in learning more about preventing and controlling high blood pressure? This site offers up-to-date, practical information on high blood pressure, including a quiz to test your Medication IQ.
- DASH Eating Plan: Get the plan that is clinically proven to significantly reduce blood pressure! Because changing eating habits isn't always easy, this booklet offers tips for dealing with challenges and setbacks. The booklet also contains a week's worth of sample menus and recipes.
- Explore high blood pressure on Health Topics: Health Topics provides science-based, plain-language information about high blood pressure for patients, caregivers, and the public, including how it's diagnosed, treatment and prevention information, and how to join a clinical trial.
- Track your numbers: Download or order The Heart Truth wallet card to record your personal results from blood pressure, blood cholesterol, and blood glucose screenings. Take the information with you the next time you go to the doctor.
- Join the conversation: On our Facebook page, you can connect with other women by sharing your story or tips for managing blood pressure.
Are you at risk? Here's how to find out.
Download the Spanish-language speaker's kit and video.
Spread The Heart Truth in your community with free posters, brochures, DVDs, and more.
Our speaker's kit and video features several inspiring stories from real women.
Planning to use The Heart Truth logo? Check out our logo guidelines and downloads.
The Heart Truth, in collaboration with Ladies' Home Journal, travels to cities across the United States.
Last Updated: May 1, 2012