United States House of Representatives, Committee on the Judiciary

  Press Releases

Ghailani Verdict a Major Disappointment

For Immediate Release
November 17, 2010
Contact: Kimberly Smith
Communications Director
202.225.6906

Ghailani Verdict a Major Disappointment

Washington, D.C. – House Judiciary Committee Ranking Member Lamar Smith (R-Texas) today issued the following statement in response to the Ahmed Ghailani verdict:

Ranking Member Smith:  “The jury verdict today in the trial of Ahmed Ghailani undercuts the Obama administration’s claim that foreign terrorists that attack the United States and the American people can adequately be tried in civilian courts. The judge in this case, applying constitutional and legal standards to which all U.S. citizens are entitled, threw out important evidence.  The result is that the jury acquitted on all but one conspiracy count.

"This verdict is a major disappointment and demonstrates to the administration that its thinking was misguided.  I hope the administration will heed the lesson of this verdict and forego future civilian trials for enemy combatants who are waging war against our country.”

Footer

Footer