Stay Healthy at College
College students spend a lot of time worrying about their studies that sometimes they can forget the importance of taking care of their health. While college life involves new challenges, responsibilities and excitement, it can also be a stressful time. Students often deal with the social pressures of drinking, drugs and sexual activity. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) offer the following tips for staying healthy and safe while in college:
- Eat a balanced diet
- Get enough sleep
- Get regular physical activity
- Maintain your health with checkups and vaccinations
- If you decide to have sex, practice safe sex
- Make smart choices about alcohol and drugs
- Get help if you are stressed or depressed
Physical stress from sleep deprivation, making poor eating decisions, substance abuse and more can lead to stress in relationships, classes and overall well being. Knowing who and where to look for help when feeling overwhelmed is one of the first steps to taking control. The Food and Drug Administration’s Office of Women’s Health is offering free publications for college students on topics ranging from sunscreens and tanning, sexual health, depression and much more.
We welcome your comments if you are 13 or older, and hope that our conversations here will be polite. You are responsible for the content of your comments.
We do not discriminate against any views, but may delete any of the following:
- violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist comments
- comments that threaten or harm the reputation of any person or organization
- advertisements or solicitations of any kind
- comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted
- personal information including, but not limited to, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses, or identification numbers
In short: be nice and add to the discussion. If you continually violate this policy, we may limit your ability to comment in the future. If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please e-mail us.