Posts tagged "student aid"

What does it mean if the FAFSA is returned stating not eligible for any Cal Grants? and Why? What else can be done?

Asked by an anonymous Tumblr user.

Cal Grants are student financial aid and funded by the State of California. They are available to California graduating high school seniors, recent graduates, and people who meet other qualifications. If you were denied a Cal Grant, you may be able to appeal depending on the type of award. Learn more about what you can do if you were denied.

There are other options for student aid from the government. Find out what types of aid you can get, if you qualify, and how to apply.

You may be still be eligible for federal student aid for the ‘11-‘12 school year. Find out.

Apply Now for Federal Student Aid

Do you need help paying for college? If you do, it’s time to apply for financial aid. Almost all two- and four-year colleges, universities and career schools use the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form to award federal student aid, and most state and college financial aid.

Federal student aid covers expenses such as tuition, fees, room and board, books, supplies and transportation. Aid also can help pay for a computer and for dependent care.

There are three categories of federal student aid:

  • Grants: Funds that don’t have to be repaid
  • Work-study: A part-time work program to earn money while you’re in school
  • Loans: Funds that must be repaid with interest

It’s a good idea to apply for federal aid before other sources, because federal loans usually offer lower interest rates, and have more flexible repayment options than loans from banks or other private sources. Your school’s financial aid office is the best place to learn about the full range of financial aid available to you.

Apply online today.