Make a Request / Possible Fees
You may request SAMHSA documents/records directly from this site. To make request, please send us an email at email@example.com.
In case we need to contact you with questions about your request, please be sure to include:
- your mailing address and
- a phone number or e-mail address
- subject of the request
- mailing address
For fee purposes, the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requires that requestors be placed in one of three categories: (1) commercial-use requestors; (2) educational and scientific institutions, and news media; (3) all others.
In line with FOIA, SAMHSA charges commercial-use requestors the costs of search, review and duplication associated with processing requests. We charge scientific, educational, and news media requestors the cost of duplication only, except that we provide the first 100 pages free of charge. We charge all other requestors the costs of search and duplication, except that the first two hours of search and the first 100 pages of duplications are free of charge. You will be billed only if the total processing charges are $25 or more.
We assume that you are willing to pay the fees we charge for processing your request. In your letter of request, you may specify the fee category in which you feel your request falls. You also may state the maximum amount of fees that you are willing to pay.
The FOIA permits SAMHSA to waive fees if disclosure of the record(s) is in the public interest because it (a) is likely to contribute significantly to public understanding of the operations or activities of the government and (b) is not primarily in the commercial interest of the requestor.
If you believe that your request meets both of the above tests, you can request a waiver or reduction of fees when you make your FOIA request. Be sure to fully document and justify your waiver request.
You may visit SAMHSA in person to review FOIA documents at the following address:
One Choke Cherry Road
Rockville, MD 20857
Hours of Operation are 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Eastern Time, Monday-Friday.
Last updated: 09/16/2010
- FacebookExternal link. Please review our Disclaimer
- FlickrExternal link. Please review our Disclaimer
- RSS FeedsExternal link. Please review our Disclaimer
- SAMHSA BlogExternal link. Please review our Disclaimer
- TwitterExternal link. Please review our Disclaimer
- YoutubeExternal link. Please review our Disclaimer
- HHS Laws & Regulations
- The No FEAR Act
- e-Gov Content Inventory
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA)
- The President's New Freedom Commission on Mental Health
- Healthy People 2010
- The Children's Health Act of 2000 (Public Law 106-310)
- Confidentiality of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Patient Records (42 CFR, part 2)