The purpose of CMS's Data Administration (DA) web site is to guide the reader through the creation, utilization, and maintenance of CMS's data resources. Stepwise procedures, guidelines and CMS data standards are provided to data analysts performing data modeling tasks for new software development projects that are crafting new CMS data and reusing existing CMS data.
The target audience of this document is as follows:
- Data Owners
- Data Stewards
- Project Managers
- Data Architects
- Data Administrators
- Database Administrators
Data Administration is:
• Guiding the creation and monitoring the usage of data and information as vital agency assets
• Promulgating agency standards, procedures and guidelines related to data names and definitions
• Maintaining the inventory of Agency data assets
• Facilitating understanding of the meaning, accuracy and timeliness of data assets
• Promoting the reuse of standardized data names, definitions, elements and values
Central Data Administration
CMS Central Data Administration team provides the following services in support of agency's data management and data utilization objectives:
• Support Project development throughout the agency by:
- Reviewing and Approval of Logical Data models during the requirement analysis phase
- Validating Naming Convention compliance in Logical Data Model and first-cut Physical Data Model during development phase
• Participate in the development of data governance processes and procedures
• Develop and/or support existing data change request management processes
• Publish standardized data naming conventions automated tools for enforcement of naming standards
• Steward and distribute an Enterprise Data Model (EDM) containing common and reusable data objects as well as standardized data modeling templates for jump-starting new software development projects or re-engineering legacy applications
• Administration and maintenance of Enterprise Metadata repository. The current repository includes but is not limited to Record Information Facility (RIF) metadata for the National Claim History (NCH) and National Medicare Utilization Database (NMUD)
• Data and impact analysis services in conjunction with new and ongoing application development efforts
• Demonstration of source to target data lineage among systems and objects
Please submit Central DA service request to:
In addition to providing the reader with DA procedures, guidelines and standards for CMS data utilization, the web site is your place to download the standard CMS attribute naming convention term lists, sample logical data model, and the required forms to request DA support services and to maintain CMS DA standards.
DA Forms.zip contains the DA services request form, DA standards change request form & DA standard naming convention terms change request form.
User Defined Property (UDP) Templates.zip contains sample logical, physical, and logical & physical data models including UDP use; and standard address models and related Readme documents.
CMS Standard Terms.zip contains object, quality, property, and representation terms used to create CMS data attributes.
The National Claims History/National Medicare Utilization Database metadata data dictionary (DD), NCH-RIF.zip, contains Inpatient/Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF), Outpatient, Home Health Agency (HHA), Hospice, Carrier, DMERC, metadata, and now includes the MedPAR 1000 DD.
Standard overview and checklists contains a brief presentation of CDA standards, logical data model review checklist and physical data model review checklist.
Standard Models.zip provide generic logical data models that support the perceived basic CMS geographic and security-related concepts.
These files are available in the download section of the page.
- Page last Modified: 03/10/2012 12:31 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins