2009 H1N1 (referred to as “swine flu”) is an influenza virus that causes illness in people. This new virus was first detected in people in the United States in April 2009 and is different from the flu virus that is typically experienced in the US every flu season. In June 2009, the World Health Organization declared it a pandemic. A pandemic is a global disease outbreak.
In anticipation of concerns about this new virus and in response to questions about H1N1, Medicare, and Medicaid, CMS has and continues to develop information products including a comprehensive set of questions and answers with Original Medicare coverage and payment information, Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA) information, and more (see downloads and links below). Check back frequently for updated information, including products for people with Medicare and people with Medicaid.
The HHS Pandemic Flu site below (see Related Links Outside CMS) also includes questions and answers about H1N1, including how the virus is spread and how to prevent it.
- H1N1 Seasonal Flu Vaccine Availability 12/15/09 [PDF, 50KB]
- Waiver or Modification of Requirements under Section 1135 of the Social Security Act (10/27/09) [PDF, 320KB]
- Background and Qs & As on President Obamas 10/24/09 Emergency Declaration for H1N1 Flu (Posted: 10-28-09) [PDF, 123KB]
- H1N1 Fact Sheet - Requesting an 1135 Waiver (11-04-09) [PDF, 65KB]
- H1N1 Fact Sheet - Hospital Alternative Care Sites during H1N1 Public Health Emergency (10-27-09) [PDF, 199KB]
- Medicare FFS-Emergency Q&As – no 1135 waivers required - Updated 6/13/12 [PDF, 435KB]
- Medicare FFS - Emergency Q&As – Applicable only when an applicable 1135 waiver has been granted - updated 6/13/12 [PDF, 310KB]
- Guidance to States on New H1N1 Billing Codes [PDF, 85KB]
- H1N1 Fact Sheet-Medicaid/CHIP Provider Billing (10-26-09) [PDF, 46KB]
- Renewal of Determination That A Public Health Emergency Exists (12/28/2009) [PDF, 50KB]
- MLN Matters SE0920: Medicare Fee-for_Services (MFFS) Billing for the Administration of the Influenza A (H1N1) Virus Vaccine [PDF, 107KB]
- Survey and Cert Letter 09-52 (PDF, 167 KB) [PDF, 166KB]
- Page last Modified: 03/27/2012 1:58 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins