Ophthalmology Resource Information
The Medicare Learning Network® (MLN) Products Ophthalmology Resource Information page is for Medicare Fee-For-Service (FFS) health care professionals who provide ophthalmic services to Medicare beneficiaries.
- CMS Ruling CMS-1536-R - Requirements for Determining Coverage of Astigmatism-Correcting Intraocular Lenses that Provide Two Distinct Services for the Patient: (1) Restoration of Distance Vision Following Cataract Surgery, and (2) Refractive Correction of Vision Due to Preexisting Astigmatism, with Less Dependency on Surgical Correction, Eyeglasses, or Contact Lenses (see "Downloads" section below)
- CMS Ruling 05-01 - Requirements for Determining Coverage of Presbyopia-Correcting Intraocular Lenses that Provide Two Distinct Services for the Patient: (1) Restoration of Distance Vision Following Cataract Surgery, and (2) Refractive Correction of Near and Intermediate Vision with Less Dependency on Eyeglasses or Contact Lenses (see "Downloads" section below)
- Change Request 5853, Transmittal 1430, Use of HCPCS V2787 When Billing Approved Astigmatism-Correcting Intraocular Lens (A-CIOLs) in Ambulatory Surgery Centers (ASCs), Physician Offices, and Hospital Outpatient Departments (HOPDs) (see "Downloads" section below)
Internet-Only Manuals (IOM)
Program instructions are day-to-day operating instructions, policies, and procedures based on statutes and regulations, guidelines, models, and directives. They are used by CMS program components, contractors, and State survey agencies to administer CMS programs. For many others, they are a good source of technical and professional information about the Medicare and Medicaid programs. (see "Downloads" section and click to access IOM specific chapters related to ophthalmology)
Educational Products (see "Downloads" section)
- (MLN Product) Glaucoma Screening Brochure - This two-sided tri-fold brochure provides a basic overview of Medicare's glaucoma screening benefit.
- Vision Rehabilitation for Elderly Individuals with Low Vision or Blindness – A Technology Assessment Program from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
Press Center – Medicare News (see the "Downloads" section)
Special Society Links (see "Downloads" section)
Physician Fee Schedule (see "Related Links" section)
- Physician Fee Schedule Lookup - Information at this site includes relative value units, payment of procedure codes paid under the fee schedule, public use tables, HCPCS level data, and utilization data.
- Physician Fee Schedule Overview - Files at this site include relative value units (RVUs), database indicator, description of database indicators, anesthesia files, imaging codes subject to the outpatient prospective payment system (OPPS) cap, geographic practice cost index (GCPIs) list and locality list.
National Correct Coding Initiative (NCCI) Edits
The CMS developed the NCCI to promote national correct coding methodologies and to control improper coding leading to inappropriate payment in Part B claims. See the "Related Links" section, click on NCCI edits, in the left hand column scroll to "NCCI Coding Edits":
Ambulatory Surgical Center (ASC) Payment Overview (see Related Links section)
- ASC - Approved HCPCS Codes and Payment Rates
- ASC Certification & Compliance - Basic information about being certified as a Medicare and/or Medicaid ASC provider and includes links to applicable laws, regulations, and compliance information.
New Technology Intraocular Lenses (NTIOLs)
ASC, CMS approved NTIOL information (see "Related Links" section)
If you would like to contact the MLN, please e-mail us at MLN@cms.hhs.gov.
- CMS Ruling CMS-1536-R [PDF, 331KB]
- CMS Ruling 05-01 [PDF, 53KB]
- R1430CP [PDF, 162KB]
- Internet Only Manuals [PDF, 22KB]
- Glaucoma Screening [PDF, 1MB]
- Vision Rehabilitation for Elderly Individuals with Low Vision or Blindness [PDF, 2MB]
- Press Center - Medicare News [PDF, 20KB]
- Specialty Society Links [PDF, 16KB]
- MLN Catalog of Products [PDF, 10MB]
- How To Sign Up For MLN Educational Products Electronic Mailing List [PDF, 117KB]
- How To Sign Up For MLN Matters® [PDF, 154KB]
- CMS Electronic Mailing Lists: Keeping Medicare Fee-For-Service Providers Informed [PDF, 410KB]
- Page last Modified: 06/22/2012 3:07 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins