In accordance with section 4554 of the Balanced Budget Act of 1997, CMS entered into negotiated rulemaking proceedings to develop national coverage determinations (NCDs) for clinical diagnostic laboratory services. Under the negotiations, we developed 23 laboratory NCDs. These NCDs are different than most other Medicare NCDs in that they include lists of ICD-9-CM codes. All codes are included on one of three lists--covered codes, not covered codes, and codes that do not support medical necessity. The NCDs were published under the Administrative Procedures Act in the Federal Register of November 23, 2001.
CMS announced a mechanism for keeping the NCD code list current. CMS updates the NCD code list quarterly as necessary to incorporate new codes, correct ministerial errors, incorporate the results of Coding Analysis published else where on this site, and incorporate reconsideration of the NCDs that alter covered indications. The quarterly updates are published in the NCD Coding Policy Manual. You can download the current and previous coding manuals from this site. Alternatively, you can access individual NCDs from the lab index list below.
- Lab Code List [ZIP, 613KB]
- July 2012 [ZIP, 766KB]
- July 2012 [PDF, 1MB]
- April 2012 [ZIP, 766KB]
- April 2012 [PDF, 1MB]
- January 2012 [ZIP, 765KB]
- January 2012 [PDF, 1MB]
- Pages 58788-58836 [PDF, 3MB]
- Pages 58837-58886 [PDF, 1MB]
- Pages 58887-58890 [PDF, 424KB]
- Procedures for Maintaining Code Lists in the Negotiated National Coverage Determinations for Clinical Diagnostic Laboratory Services [PDF, 419KB]
- Page last Modified: 06/20/2012 7:26 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins