This checklist is provided as an overview of the steps needed to be taken when you
want to import meat, poultry, or processed egg products to the United States.
- Products must originate from certified countries
and establishments eligible to export to the United States.
- The Animal and Plant Health Inspection Services (APHIS) restricts some products from entering the United States because
of animal disease conditions in the country of origin. For information on restrictions related to animal diseases and
information about APHIS, contact the APHIS Veterinary Services, National Center
for Import and Export.
- Countries and establishments become eligible following an equivalence
determination process by FSIS.
- Imported products must meet the same labeling requirements as domestically-produced products.
- After filing the necessary forms for U.S. Customs and Border Protection, and meeting animal disease requirements of APHIS,
all imported meat, poultry and processed egg products must be presented for inspection by FSIS at an official