Data.gov - Empowering People

Skip to navigation Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to login
Health

Community Health Status Indicators (CHSI) to Combat Obesity, Heart Disease and Cancer

Community Health Status Indicators (CHSI) to combat obesity, heart disease, and cancer are major components of the Community Health Data Initiative. This dataset provides key health indicators for local communities and encourages dialogue about actions that can be taken to improve community health (e.g., obesity, heart disease, cancer). The CHSI report and dataset was designed not only for public health professionals but also for members of the community who are interested in the health of their community. The CHSI report contains over 200 measures for each of the 3,141 United States counties. Although CHSI presents indicators like deaths due to heart disease and cancer, it is imperative to understand that behavioral factors such as obesity, tobacco use, diet, physical activity, alcohol and drug use, sexual behavior and others substantially contribute to these deaths.

Comments

Comment

The data and tips given by CSHI are really viable i agree with this.

Comment

The data and tips given by CSHI are really viable i agree with this.

Using technology

We're using our newly developed technology to acquire health data sets on our site @ http://www.healthism.com. More specifically we've developed an "online check-up" for heart disease that you can see @ http://www.healthism.com/screenings/am-i-at-high-risk-for-a-heart-attack. If anyone from the CHSI is interested in sharing data, learning from one another or possibly even using our technology please contact me at damon@healthism.com.

Damon Ramsey, MD

Why not put taxes on food that contains trans fat

Recently in the European country of Denmark they decided to put a tax on food that contains a high amount of fat, in order to be able to pay for treament of obesity diseases etc. Why not do the same in the United States? That way the government can get funds to treat obesity etc.

We all know that obesity most

We all know that obesity most specially in the US is a serious case of disease and health problem.That is why it is good to hear that theres a very good action for this. Combating Obesity will be very helpful to lessen the emerging diseases that causes by this accumulating fats in the body.Heart disease and cancer are just some example of this deathly illnesses that cause by the excessive fat which mainly results to obesity.That's why new lap band surgery recommendations have been issued by the FDA. And this Community Health Status Indicators (CHSI)will also be a great help for those hopeful ones.

Important for Heart Disease

Highly important and helpful article.... It will really help to keep Heart Disease and cancer away. keep this good work contunue.

Indoor Growing Supplies

Thanks for this article. I thought your blog post is highly engrossing.  Kudos once again - I will visit again.

Due to time constraints,

Due to time constraints, nurses often do not spend large amounts of time in the room with individual patients, the nursing assistant is known as the nurse's "eyes and ears". 

How Many Calories And Fats

There have been several studies on the dangers of consumption of trans fatty acids, yet there are no rules. Except that it must be indicated on the label, there is no warning at all. The costs of health care of Americans has exploded since the 1950s with the prevalence of obesity and related diseases such as diabetes. As far as I'm concerned, there should be a warning on the packaging contains trans fats, such as on cigarettes. It is just as deadly and even more insidious public health. I share an interesting article on my blog about the dangers of trans fats

This community has been set

This community has been set up for the well fare of common people and makes common people aware of different kinds  of diseases which can help them in avoiding the sources of these disease.As per this survey heart disease,cancer etc are spreading their roots rapidly in most of the parts and some strict actions required to be taken to eradicate this situation.

magnets 4 energy pdf download

Challenge.gov Health 2.0 Developer Challenge
Learn about our newest high-value datasets

Active Group topics