Data.gov - Empowering People

Skip to navigation Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to login
/
Semantic Web

US needs vs. W3C/International topics

it is clear that domain specific vocabularies are needed in many areas of on line government. The US data.gov community needs to play in international efforts, but also needs to develop US specific "metadata" standards (or vocabularies, ontologies, or whatever you wish to call them) if we are to be able to create the linking of Federal, State, Municipal and Tribal datasets.

I will take a stab at starting this discussion by saying the incredible diversity of the kinds of data found across open government data sites requires that we make it possible to find, and share, vocabularies that already exist as a way of jumpstarting this process. I call on data.gov, as I did at the recent International Open Government Data Conference, to create a place where agencies can put already existing vocabularies that are in machine-readable form. These vocabularies, with just the simple sort of metadata that the raw datasets have, would already be an incredible resource, and would lead to considerable savings via the reuse, rather than re-development, of vocabularies. -- Jim Hendler

Comments

What can we expect?

So, what exactly is expected from domain specific vocabularies? I assume there will be option for hispanic vocabularies and other specific language sets to pull in automatically. Or maybe I was misunderstood on this topic....

Glorian

Give us good examples and ideas

This is great post. Sharing and knowing all vocabularies  would be great. So hard to find good sources. And it would be good to have one central location.

ok

Finally I found the good blog to read on your website. Thanks for sharing the good contents and I have enjoyed reading it.

Thank you

US needs vs. W3C/International topics

Nice post as well as website. The US data.gov community needs to play in international efforts, but also needs to develop US specific "metadata" standards (or vocabularies, ontologies, or whatever you wish to call them) if we are to be able to create the linking of Federal, State, Municipal and Tribal datasets.

Best Practices

I would be grateful if you could show how your work and the tools and examples suggest working with the best practices, and suggests that the contribution (both in a single guest or running) in SemWeb / GLD data team. The PMO would be the best governor to discuss and review as well as best practices, what are the solutions that have given you an example, and as they are, you may propose to align the same way. I do not think that this forum is to achieve a goal, and I ask you to participate more directly in the area, rather than remotely via this channel. Please let me know if you are interested in it!

http://www.clvgroup.com/

Great discussion, I am very happy to lean a lots here.

Why U Shy?

I would be grateful if you could show how your work and the tools and examples suggest working with the best practices, and suggests that the contribution (both in a single guest or running) in SemWeb / GLD data team. The PMO would be the best governor to discuss and review as well as best practices, what are the solutions that have given you an example, and as they are, you may propose to align the same way. I do not think that this forum is to achieve a goal, and I ask you to participate more directly in the area, rather than remotely via this channel. Please let me know if you are interested in it!

Links

Thanks for sharing these helpful resources!

US needs

I enjoy reading post secrets and i think that your analysis was a good one , I feel that it is healthy for people to be reading some of the informative and new things that can be found on post secret. Try to share in easy ways.

Update on Activities

Active Group topics