Loan Details

People browsing the internet
Emergency Farm Loans

Program Description

The emergency loan program aims to help family farmers recover from losses resulting from natural disasters. These loans can be used to:
  • Repair or replace buildings or other structures
  • Purchase livestock and equipment
  • Pay essential farm operating and family living expenses
  • Refinance debt
  • Repair or replace essential household contents damaged in the disaster.

These loans cannot exceed $500,000.

General Program Requirements

To qualify for an Emergency Farm Loan, you must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident who owns or controls farm/ranch land that has been damaged by a natural disaster (including severe drought) and who has been denied a loan by a commercial lender. Applicants must also have an acceptable credit history, not have received debt forgiveness from the Agency, and not have had any controlled substance convictions. For production loss loans, the applicant must have suffered at least a 30 percent loss in yield. Emergency loans may also be made to replace damaged farm/ranch property.

Loan Terms

The repayment period for emergency loans is based on the type of loss and the applicant's repayment ability. In most cases, loans for annual operating expenses must be repaid within 12 months, and loans for losses to equipment, livestock, machinery, etc. cannot exceed seven years. The loan term for losses to real estate cannot exceed 40 years. The interest rate for emergency loans is 3.75 percent.
Your Next Steps
The following information will lead you to the next steps to apply for this benefit.

Application Process

To apply for an emergency loan, applicants must submit an application form (FSA-2001) and business plan, in addition to other forms required to determine eligibility.

We also encourage you to contact your local office or USDA Service Center to learn more about our programs and the information you will need for a complete application.

Program Contact Information

For more information, visit:
You may also obtain information through your local FSA office or USDA service center. To locate the office nearest you, visit:

Managing Agency

U.S. Department of Agriculture