Data.gov - Empowering People

Skip to navigation Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to login
/
Ocean

Add or Request a Data Source

We are interested in identifying additional data sources that would be useful to the coastal and marine spatial planning community. Local, state, tribal, and other resources are especially helpful in the regional planning section. If you have suggestions for existing data sources, or would like to make specific suggestions on data can be made available from Federal agencies, let us know here!

Comments

Data/tool sources to add to data.gov/ocean registry

I would like to add a link to EPA's Estuary Data Mapper application (http://ofmpub.epa.gov/rsig/rsigserver?edm/index.html).  Please let me know how to accomplish this.

I just stumbled upon your

I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.

This is such a great

This is such a great information. I really like this.

National Fish Habitat Partnership Data

Consider incorporating National Fish Habitat Partnership Data into this database. There are 18 nationally recognized fish habitat partnerships in the United States - several of those partnerships have a focus in the Great Lakes and along our coasts. Data these partnerships use to advance their goals could be used in the coastal and marine spatial planning process.

Data Source Suggestion

It would be interesting to have the data from the non-confidential data workbooks within the Data Warehouse of the Atlantic Coastal Cooperative Statistics Program. It's heavily state based as opposed to federal based. It's unique and do able to incorporate. http://www.accsp.org.

Traditional Knowledge

In contrast to database information, Traditional Knowledge is often kept as a history or review of specific environments that stems from human experience. There may be reason to categorize Traditional Knowledge as regional (spatial), temporal (i.e. migratory), patterned or gradient based, etcettera. Categorization might also include a capacity index, degrees of accessibility or degrees of use. A suggestion for gathering and processing such information might be to find relevant pools of people -including the public for a given site, scientists with special training, surveyor/regulators - and to permit information sharing within a developed framework.

The reporting or sharing of information might be formatted by the website. Traditional Knowledge should consider the importance of experiences and responses from "native" people who have lived or worked within the specified area for a long enough period of time to know about relevant changes and relevant trends. The incentive might be monitoring, strengthening, and learning about the health of our communities.

Former bases of knowledge: Almanacs, surveys, logues. Consider knowledge passed along by exercise such as shipping, sailing, subsistence?

Data Source suggestion

The IJC, or International Joint Comission, for the Great Lakes might be a good source. The IJC maintains the agreements of Canada and the United States for the Great Lakes and boundary waters. I have no idea whose permission might be required from their boards, how to best maintain the purpose of this site and whether or not to add links to Canadian partnerships. I think that the mission of the IJC is relevant enough for correspondence and data about what the comission has accomplished.

The EPA - beach regulation.

• Showing 1-7 of 7

Active Group topics