Getting an annual flu vaccine is the best way to protect yourself from the flu. It’s recommended for most individuals, ages six months and older.
Here are some other ways to avoid getting the flu and passing it to others:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Avoid close contact with sick people.
- Practice good health habits (get adequate sleep, exercise, eat healthy, and drink plenty of fluids).
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- If you have the flu, stay at home for at least 24 hours after your fever has returned to normal without the use of fever-reducing medications.
Learn more about the flu, including symptoms, types of vaccines, and high-risk indviduals, and get answers to common questions about the flu vaccine, including locations where you can get it.