Special Transfers


The majority of transfers to FRCs are paper-based, long-term, scheduled, temporary, non-classified records. If your transfer does NOT fall into these categories, please note the following:

  • Unscheduled Records
    In order to transfer unscheduled records to an FRC, agencies must:
    • Inform NARA's Life Cycle Management Division (NWML) in writing prior to the transfer. This can be done by sending NWML a copy of the SF 135 submitted for FRC approval before transferring the unscheduled records to the FRC. Be sure to include on the SF 135 the date you notified NWML, or include the number of a pending SF 115, Request for Disposition Authority. NWML's address is: 8601 Adelphi Road, Room 2200, College Park, MD 20740.
    • Include the official series title (if applicable) or a general descriptive title for the records in item 6(f): series description on the SF 135.
    • Include a folder title list of the box contents or equivalent detailed records description. This description can be listed under item 6(f): series description or included as an attachment.
    • Indicate "U" for unscheduled records under item 6(i) disposal date on the SF 135.
    • See 36 CFR 1228.152 and 154, Code of Federal Regulations (www.archives.gov/about/regulations/part-1232.html) or Unscheduled Records FAQs (www.archives.gov/frc/unscheduled-records_faqs.html) for more information on transferring unscheduled records.

  • Active Records
    Agencies may transfer active records to an FRC by using local NARA agreements. Usually, these records stay on-site in the agency office. However, some active records may be suitable for off-site storage. Contact your local FRC for details.
  • Records with Short Retention Periods
    FRCs will accept records that have less than a one-year retention period before disposition, but agencies should consider the costs of proposing such a transfer. It may be more cost-effective to simply retain the records for the short time they are still needed.
  • Mixed
    Series FRCs, by prior agreement with some agencies, will accept mixed-series transfers. These transfers must consist of only one box. Contact your agency's records officer to determine if such an agreement exists for your agency.
  • Mixed-media Records Several
    FRCs will accept for storage mixed-media records (e.g. videos, cassettes, CDs, diskettes, etc.) Please contact your local FRC before transferring mixed-media records. Describe the non-paper media in item 6(f). Because mixed-media records cannot be recycled without screening, the records center will apply additional charges at the time of disposal.
  • Permanent Records
    The SF 135 for permanent records must be accompanied by a detailed folder title list. Agencies may include these lists on the SF 135 (if space permits) or as an electronic or hard-copy attachment.
  • Permanent Microfilm Records
    Permanent microfilm records may be stored at the Washington National Records Center in Suitland, MD, prior to their accessioning to the National Archives.
  • Storage and Servicing of Classified Records
    Several FRCs are cleared to accept records containing classified National Security Information. These facilities are cleared for Confidential, Secret, Top Secret, Sensitive Compartmentalized Information, Restricted Data, and Formerly Restricted Data. In addition, most centers can store, for an additional fee, sensitive but unclassified records in a separate vault. Contact the records center in your region for more information about availability of these services.

Top of Page

FRC Training

FRC Training Local Federal Records Centers offer training on FRC services (including transfer, disposition and reference procedures), either at records centers or onsite at agency facilities.

Please contact your local FRC for more information.

In addition, NARA's records management team offers a comprehensive certification course for Federal employees on records management.