Data.gov - Empowering People

Skip to navigation Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to login
/
Open Data

Towards a High-Performing Open Government

Just saw a great article by Michael Lennon and Gary Berg-Cross on "Towards a High-Performing Open Government".  Interesting ideas around how new forms of knowledge and insight are achieved, resources applied to mission objectives, and getting stakeholder buy-in.  It looks at the research behind the ideas of participation and transparency and how to shift from managing within an agency to managing between agencies for a networked open environment.

Slides with an overview of the paper are at:  http://www.slideshare.net/Gov2.0/equipping-the-public-manager-approach-summary

What are your thoughts in this area?  How can we invite and encourage openness in our daily activities without making it too onerous for people?

Comments

Link to Presentation should be working

Two alternative places to retreive the file can be

1) http://www.govloop.com/group/smarterbetteropengovernment

2) http://slidesha.re/mtKei4 

Michael Lennon

@mlennon123

Slide show

Are the slides still available ?

I was getting page not found in the link above.

Towards a HP Open Government and Leadership in a Networked World

Nice paper and slides. Mark Forman and Kim Nelson are the only Federal Managers that I worked for in my 30+ years of federal service that made this work for me and others and that is why we got the Federal SICoP, SOA CoP, SOCoP, etc. doing cross-agency work and they still exist doing that but no longer with federal manager support. We need Vivek, Aneesh, Andrew, David, Sonny, etc. to re-start this. In the past it was the President Bush’s CIO (Carlos Solari) that came to our CIOC Best Practices Committee Meeting and told David Wennergren that CoPs were the best way to have NGOs help government solve its problems and he started SICoP in response!

Michael responded: Thanks Brand.I could not agree more with you.  This is why we have been developing a curriculum for Open Gov Leadership--  from enhancing Inter-Agency coordination, to building personal influence, to structuring participation touchpoints for decision-making support, to novel ways to engage external resources to fulfill the mission, the learning curve is rich in dividends. Of course, the most influential aspect form of education is not exposure to ideas, it is having vivid examples and personal experience of leadership in action.  This is why the course has a strong experiential component.  It is intended to equip participants in network leadership--where "no one is the head honcho, but all are influential".If folks want to participate in the deployment of this curriculum, let me know.  There is strong demand.

I responded: Michael, Thank you and I would like to participate. This sounds similar to what I have been doing as a practitioner-advisor for a Harvard Class on Leadership in a Networked World – see my recent work to help this year’s students at http://semanticommunity.info/CIOs_Learning_Web_2.0_Wikis/Social_Business_Intelligence_from_Open_Government_Data

Executable English -- Openness Enabled

One way to invite and encourage openness is to open the bottleneck between raw data and answers to questions.

Data by itself is necessary, but not enough, for practical applications.

What's needed is knowledge about how to use the data to answer questions -- such as, "how much could the US save through energy independence?"

There's emerging technology that leverages social media for the task of acquiring and curating the necessary knowledge -- in the form of Executable English.

Imagine data.gov being able to answer the above energy question, and a growing number of others, and also explaining the answers in English.

You can Google "Executable English" to find this technology, or go directly to www.reengineeringllc.com.  

Shared use is free, and there are no advertisements.

Reply to Ed

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your post.  Can you specify which idea is already in play in the Intelligence community? 

You point to the IT helpdesk (which I am a huge fan of as a oft-underutilized source of organizational knowledge).  But all of the cases in the artcile span beyond organizational boundaries and have external engagement beyond other gov. actors (think of this as "beyond Inter-Agency 1.0").

Much of the slide deck focuses on influence behaviors of effective change leaders upon their networks.  Ostensibly, IT is an enabler of human influence, but not the trigger/driver.  So I was surprised by the reference to helpdesk, which ordinarily does not play a leadership skill-building role but might.

I am very curious to learn more about which idea you saw parallel  (and precendent?).

Cheers,

Michael

Recent podcast interview with Michael Lennon

Check The Public Manager Web site (www.thepublicmanager.org) for a recently completed, 20-minute podcast interview with Michael Lennon - including highlights of several federal government case illustrations drawn from the US Patent and Trademark Office, the US Departments of Education and Homeland Security and other organizations. Michael's next article planned for the summer issue of the quarterly practitioner journal will offer an in-depth case illustration of open government in the US Department of Energy - a successful effort to engage a community around the dicey topic of nuclear waste disposal. OMG!!

Towards a High-Performing Open Government

I believe this idea is already in the Intellegence Agency..I don't see why we can't request assistance from there IT Help Desk and our IT personnel and make it happen..just an idea..Ed

The secret? - Making the organization fit for humans

Thanks for drawing attention to this article.  We wrote it as a "case-for-action"--identifying examples of business benefits available to public managers from adopting participatory practices: 

1. Accessing new types of knowledge
  2. Engaging additional resources to address the mission, and perhaps most elusive to public managers,
  3. cultivating stakeholder buy-in & credibility

At the heart of the question, what is the secret to High Performance Organizations?, leading research points to a simple principle--making the organization fit for human flourishing.

The overview slide deck addresses some approach assumptions not explicit in the article.   My favorite takeaways are:

1. Slide 5 - Participation is more than "nice-to-have", it is core org-level performance driver; studies show staff who are externally engaged are more productive and more satisfied (as are their clients/constituents), 
  2. Slide 7 - Three influential levers for optimizing the Human2Human layer of org. change, and  
  3. Slide 11 - a practical tool for supporting Human2Human exploration of open gov strategic alternatives. 

(Caveat - currently the slide deck does not have the audio file of the speaker's comments attached, but it will be appended in the future)

Cheers,

Michael Lennon

PS - For those of you attending the upcoming American Society for Public Administration (ASPA) annual conference in Baltimore (Mar 11-13), feel free to join drop by the March 11 workshop “3:00 PM – Demonstrating Value and Accountability through Engagement”  I will be one of the panelists and would love to meet folks in person

• Showing 1-8 of 8

Active Group topics