U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Public Health Service
PHS 398 (Revised 6/2009)
See the 11/23/2009 NIH Guide Notice NOT-OD-10-016 for important changes to this version.
All notable changes made to PHS 398 instructions and form pages are listed at the bottom of this page (updated 3/25/2011).
Downloadable Instructions and Form Files
All NIH forms below that are approved for use through June 30, 2012 (those revised 06/2009) are still available for use; revised forms have been approved by OMB and are expected to be implemented in the summer, 2013.
Some of the MS Word and PDF files are large and may take a few minutes to download.
PHS 398 Fillable Forms - 6/2009 Revision
The links below allow for downloading of individual and combined form files in MS Word and PDF formats. Please see the Adobe Acrobat or PDF Forms section of the "Help Downloading Files" page for information on using the fillable PDF forms.
|Fillable Individual PHS 398 Forms
(These forms are to be used only with paper submissions using the PHS 398. Do not use the PDF samples provided below in an SF424 (R&R) application. These are fillable PDF forms which will cause an error in the electronic submission of an SF424 (R&R) application. See the SF424 (R&R) application page for appropriate formats to be used for electronic submission.)
|Form Page 1: Face Page||MS Word (88 KB)||PDF (310 KB)|
|Form Page 1-continued: Additional form for use only if Multiple PD/PIs are proposed. Do not include if submitting a single-PD/PI application.||MS Word (76 KB)||PDF (254 KB)|
|Form Page 2: Summary, Relevance, Project/Performance Sites, Senior/Key Personnel, Other Significant Contributors, and Human Embryonic Stem Cells||MS Word (117 KB)||PDF (369 KB)|
|Project/Performance Site Format Page - use only if additional space is needed.||MS Word (92 KB)||PDF (269 KB)|
|Form Page 3: Research Grant Table of Contents||MS Word (79 KB)||PDF (701 KB)|
|Form Page 4: Detailed Budget for Initial Budget Period||MS Word (89 KB)||PDF (309 KB)|
|Form Page 5: Budget for Entire Proposed Project Period||MS Word (86 KB)||PDF (573 KB)|
|Biographical Sketch Format Page||MS Word (38 KB)||PDF (599 KB)|
|Biographical Sketch Sample||MS Word (72 KB)||PDF (63 KB)|
|Resources Format Page||MS Word (39 KB)||PDF (240 KB)|
|Checklist Form Page||MS Word (84 KB)||PDF (506 KB)|
|Continuation Format Page||MS Word (36 KB)||PDF (202 KB)|
|Targeted/Planned Enrollment Table Format Page||MS Word (57 KB)||PDF (267 KB)|
|Inclusion Enrollment Report Format Page||MS Word (95 KB)||PDF (325 KB)|
|Mailing Address||MS Word (38 KB)||PDF (27 KB)|
|Other Support Format Page: Example||MS Word (47 KB)||PDF (38 KB)|
|All Personnel Report Format Page||MS Word (96 KB)||PDF (279 KB)|
|Combined PHS 398 Forms File
Does NOT include the Biographical Sketch page, Continuation Page, or any of the Sample/Example pages (Biosketch Sample, Other Support Sample). See Individual Form file links above.
|Combined PHS 398 Form Files
(MS Word) (569 KB)
|Combined PHS 398 Form Files
(PDF) (295 KB)
For Questions Related to:
- Application Procedures/Forms Submission: contact GrantsInfo at email@example.com or 301-435-0714.
Note: Other software packages for completing these applications may be available from other sources; however, it is essential that the type size and format specifications are met. Otherwise application processing may be delayed, or the application may be returned to the applicant without review.
Disclaimer: Reference to these software packages neither constitutes nor should be inferred to be an endorsement or recommendation of any product, service, or enterprise by the National Institutes of Health, any other agency of the United States Government, or any employee of the United States Government. No warranties are stated or implied.
- The Biographical Sketch is modified to permit a description of factors that may have reduced productivity per NIH Guide NOT-OD-11-045. (03/25/2011)
- Incorporation of policy regarding use of FOAs (NOT-OD-10-134), Just-in-Time submissions (NOT-OD-10-120), new time limit on resubmissions (NOT-OD-10-140), post submission of application materials (NOT-OD-10-115), and implementation of the Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act reporting (NOT-OD-11-005). Additional edits include modification of the definition of foreign component to be consistent with the revised NIH Grants Policy Statement, clarifications to instructions, and updated hyperlinks and corrected typographical errors. (11/22/2010)
- "Authorized Organizational Representative" is changed throughout to "Authorized Organization Representative" for consistency with grants.gov; requirement for the commons ID role for multiple PD/PIs and affiliation for contact PD/PI is clarified; the prohibition on using the appendix to circumvent page limits per NOT-OD-10-077 is emphasized; the timeline for resubmission of grandfathered application is clarified in Part I, 2.7 and Part II, 1.3 per NOT-OD-10-080; the continuous application submission policy in Part I, 2.14 is updated per NOT-OD-10-090; the Research Strategy instructions are edited to address situations with multiple Specific Aims; and the ClinicalTrials.gov requirements in Part II, 2.1.6 and Vertebrate Animal section of the Research Plan in Part I, 5.5.10 are clarified. (5/20/2010)
- Part I, Section 5.5.3 Research Strategy is clarified to indicate that preliminary studies and progress should be incorporated into Significance, Innovation and Approach, and Part III, Section 2.1.2 is updated to include certification that human embryonic stem cells will be used in accordance with any restrictions (see NIH Guide NOT-OD-10-029). (1/12/2010)
- New PHS 398 (Rev. 6/09) instructions and forms posted 11/23/2009. See the 11/23/2009 NIH Guide Notice NOT-OD-10-016 for important details regarding changes made to this version. (11/23/2009)