Skip Navigation
College Drinking Prevention - Changing the Culture

Stats & Summaries NIAAA College Materials Supporting Research Other Alcohol Information NewSpecial Features
College Presidents College Parents College Students H.S. Administrators H.S. Parents & Students
Special Features

Video Highlights from NIAAA College Conferences

College Alcohol Policies

Interactive Body




Getting Help

Helpful Tools

In the News

Join Our Listserv


Order Publications

Link to Us

E-mail this Page

Print this Page

Getting Help

Help is just a mouse-click or telephone call away. Check out these resources!

  • Alcoholics Anonymous®

    Alcoholics Anonymous® (AA) is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength, and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop
    drinking. There are no dues or fees for AA membership.

    Web site: (Local meeting information)

    A.A. World Services, Inc.
    P.O. Box 459
    New York, NY 10163

    Phone: 212-870-3400

  • Adult Children of Alcoholics

    Adult Children of Alcoholics is a Twelve-Step, Twelve-Tradition program of women and men who grew up in alcoholic or otherwise dysfunctional homes.

    Web site:

    P.O. Box 3216
    Torrance, CA 90510

    Phone: 310-534-1815 (message only)

    Email: (use for information on locating meetings) (use for general information, meeting registrations, etc.) (use for literature order inquiries)

  • Al-Anon/Alateen

    For over 50 years, Al-Anon (which includes Alateen for younger members) has been offering hope and help to families and friends of alcoholics. It is estimated that each alcoholic affects the lives of at least four other people... alcoholism is truly a family disease. No matter what relationship you have with an alcoholic, whether they are still drinking or not, all who have been affected by someone else’s drinking can find solutions that lead to serenity in the Al-Anon/Alateen fellowship.

    For meeting information in Canada, the U.S., and Puerto Rico: 1-888-4AL-ANON (1-888-425-2666) Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 6:00pm ET.

    Web site:

    Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters, Inc.
    1600 Corporate Landing Parkway
    Virginia Beach, VA 23454-5617

    Phone: 757-563-1600


  • Higher Education Center for Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse and Violence Prevention

    The U.S. Department of Education established the Center to provide nationwide support for campus alcohol and other drug prevention efforts. The Center is working with colleges, universities, and proprietary schools throughout the country to develop strategies for changing campus culture, to foster environments that promote healthy lifestyles, and to prevent illegal alcohol and other drug use among students.

    Web site:

    Higher Education Center for Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse and Violence Prevention
    c/o Education Development Center, Inc.
    55 Chapel Street
    Newton, MA 02458

    Phone: 1-800-676-1730


  • Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD)

    MADD is a 501(c)(3) non-profit grass roots organization with more than 400 entities nationwide. MADD is not a crusade against alcohol consumption— MADD's mission is to stop drunk driving, support the victims of this violent crime and prevent underage drinking.

    Web site:

    MADD National Office
    511 E. John Carpenter Freeway, Suite 700
    Irving, TX 75062

    Phone: 1-800-GET-MADD (438-6233) or
    Dallas Metro - 214-637-0372
    Victim Services 24-Hour Helpline
    1-877-MADD-HELP (1-877-623-3435)

  • National Drug and Treatment Referral Routing Service

    The Referral Routing Service is a toll-free telephone number provided by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's (SAMHSA) for alcohol and drug information/treatment referral assistance.

    Telephone: 1-800-662-HELP (4357)

    When you call this toll-free number, a recorded message (English or Spanish language) gives you the following options:

    1 - Speak to a representative concerning substance abuse treatment or to request printed material on alcohol or drugs.

    2 - Local substance abuse treatment referral information in your state.

  • Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator

    The Locator is the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's online searchable directory of alcohol and drug abuse programs located around the country.

    Web site:

  • National Health Information Center

    The National Health Information Center (NHIC) is a health information referral service. NHIC puts health professionals and consumers who have health questions in touch with those organizations that are best able to provide answers.

    Web site:


  • Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD)

    SADD’s Mission is to provide students with the best prevention and intervention tools possible to deal with the issues of underage drinking, other drug use, impaired driving and other destructive decisions.

    Web site:

    SADD National
    255 Main Street
    Marlborough, MA 01752

    Phone: 1-877-SADD-INC


Current as of 7/30/2007

About Us
Site Map
Privacy Policy
Contact Us
Web site Policies

National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
National Institute of Health
Freedom of Information Act
U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services