Skip to Content
Advanced Search

The Department of State and the U.S. Embassy communicate with and track Americans affected by crises in foreign countries.

If You Are in a Foreign Country Involved in a Crisis:
Monitor the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs home page and the home page for the U.S. Embassy in the foreign country for up-to-date information about the crisis.
Contact your family in the United States to reassure them of your whereabouts and safety.
Contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate if you need help.
Register with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate on-line, by phone, email, fax or in person. Registration helps consular staff contact you if necessary and allows you to receive situation updates.
Monitor Voice of America and local media for announcements.
Federal government employees overseas on official business should obtain "country clearance" before heading abroad, and must remain in contact with the U.S. Embassy throughout their stay in a foreign country.
If You Are in the United States

Families in the United States whose U.S. citizen relatives abroad may be directly affected by a crisis can contact the U.S. Department of State's Office of American Citizens Services and Crisis Management at 1-888-407-4747 (from overseas: 202-501-4444).

Benefits for American Citizens Affected by an International Disaster

Some federal benefits may be available for American citizens affected by an international disaster. Take the full pre-screening questionnaire or contact the U.S. embassy in the affected country.

International Disaster Response

The most efficient and effective way to help those affected by a disaster overseas is to make a monetary donation to a humanitarian organization that is implementing relief programs in the affected region. See the U.S. Agency for International Development's (USAID) Disaster Assistance webpage "How Can I Help?".