Community Corrections FAQs


Residential Reentry Centers (RRCs) & Juveniles
Juveniles and the BOP

Residential Reentry Centers (RRCs) & Juveniles

Why does the BOP use RRCs, also known as halfway houses? (top)

RRCs are used by the BOP to facilitate inmates' reentry to the community after a period of incarceration. RRCs are available for offenders most likely to benefit from the programs, with the goal to reduce recidivism. RRCs also provide an intermediate sanction, when housing offenders under the supervision of U.S. Probation or the Court Services and Offender Supervision Agency (CSOSA). These facilities provide a structured, supervised environment and support in job placement, counseling, and other services. They make it possible for inmates to rebuild their ties to the community and find suitable employment and housing, while RRC personnel supervise offenders' activities during this important readjustment phase.

How may I obtain information on operating a federal halfway house? (top)

RRC service contracts are awarded through a competitive procurement process following the requirements set forth in the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR). BOP community corrections field offices identify a need for RRC services in a specific area. The number of beds needed is determined by the number of inmates projected to release to the area, prosecution trends, new initiatives, and contact with other federal law enforcement agencies. All RRC procurements for the BOP are conducted in the Central Office, Washington, D.C., and once awarded, the contracts are administered by the community corrections field offices. The competitive process is open to all interested providers, and the BOP encourages full and open competition during the procurement process. The BOP advertises for RRC services on the FedBizOpps website. For procedures, visit the section on How to Do Business with the BOP.

What is an RRC Statement of Work (SOW)? (top)

An RRC SOW, or in some cases a Performance Work Statement (PWS), is a document that outlines performance requirements for operating an RRC. The SOW provides detailed information about the administrative and program requirements and all other services the contractor will be required to perform. A PWS is a document outlining general performance requirements in a performance-based contract. The contractor will then demonstrate how they plan to meet those requirements in its contract proposal.

How can I obtain information regarding grants so I may provide services for ex-offenders? (top)

The BOP does not provide community-based services for ex-offenders through grants. These services are awarded through a competitive procurement process following the requirements set forth in the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR).

How can I locate an RRC in a certain area of the country? (top)

To view a complete list of RRC contract providers, click here. Active RRC contracts are listed alphabetically by state and each entry includes the RRC name, address, and telephone number.

When does an inmate's release preparation start? (top)

It is the BOP's philosophy that release preparation begins on the first day of incarceration. A wide range of self-improvement opportunities and programs that have been shown to work is available to facilitate skills development and release preparation with the goal of reducing recidivism. Focus on release preparation intensifies at least 30 months prior to release.

How is an inmate referred to a residential reentry center (RRC)? (top)

Approximately 17-19 months prior to an inmate's release, an RRC referral recommendation is made by the unit team (which, at a minimum, consists of the inmate's unit manager, case manager, and counselor) at a scheduled program review meeting. In making the determination on suitability and length of placement (which could be up to 12 months), each inmate is considered using the five factor criteria from 18 U.S.C. 3621(b):

    1. the resources of the facility being contemplated;
    2. the nature and circumstances of the offense(s);
    3. the history and characteristics of the offender;
    4. any statement by the court that imposed the sentence:

      a. concerning the purposes for which the sentence to imprisonment was determined to be warranted; or
      b. recommending any type of penal or correctional facility as appropriate; and

    5. any pertinent policy statement issued by the U.S. Sentencing Commission.

If the Warden approves the unit team's recommendation, a referral packet is forwarded to a BOP Community Corrections Manager (CCM), ordinarily to the CCM office nearest to where the inmate will be releasing. Once the CCM receives the packet, it is reviewed and forwarded to the appropriate RRC contractor. The RRC contractor assesses the inmate's needs and makes the decision to accept the inmate for placement, or deny a placement. Upon acceptance of placement, the CCM works with the RRC contractor to approve and/or modify the unit team's proposed placement date. The inmate is then informed of the final decision by the unit team.

Questions regarding an individual inmate's RRC placement should be directed to the inmate's unit team at the institution where the person is confined.

Are there time or program requirements for home detention? (top)

Under 18 U.S.C. ยง 3624 (c), home detention is limited to six months or the final 10 percent of the term of imprisonment, whichever is less. The BOP's CCM is the final approving official for home detention placements.

How does an inmate actually get to the RRC? (top)

The BOP provides for the most economical means for a furlough transfer to an RRC. An inmate may be allowed to choose the means of transportation to an RRC if all the transportation costs are borne by the inmate. See P5280.08, Furloughs.

What information can be released to the public regarding an inmate's designation to an RRC? (top)

For security reasons, BOP policy prohibits the release of an inmate's designation to the public prior to his/her arrival at the designated facility, including the inmate's transfer to an RRC. To locate an inmate who has arrived at a designated facility, use the Inmate Locator tool. Note - if an inmate is presently housed at an RRC, the Inmate Locator will show the location as the CCM office responsible for the inmate, NOT the actual address of the RRC.

How do RRCs account for their inmates? (top)

RRC personnel are required to maintain accountability of inmates at all times, and inmates are expected to abide by a strict schedule. Inmates must sign in and out of the facility, inmate counts are conducted periodically by RRC staff, and staff members make random telephone calls and/or visits to the inmate's place of employment and/or home. Each RRC is also monitored by BOP staff.

What are an inmate's rights of appeal concerning discipline while at the RRC? (top)

Inmates in community programming have the same responsibilities and rights as inmates in other BOP facilities. Appeals of disciplinary actions may be completed through the administrative remedy program. See also:

  • P5270.07, Inmate Discipline and Special Housing Units

  • P1330.13, Administrative Remedy Program

What is a CCC? I see the acronym in other BOP policies. (top)

If a policy or older document uses the term CCC, it is referring to an RRC. CCC refers to a community corrections center, but that term was replaced by residential reentry center (RRC) several years ago to more accurately convey the mission of the facility - facilitating reentry into the community.

Juveniles and the BOP

What is the definition of a federal juvenile delinquent? (top)

A juvenile is a person who has committed an act of delinquency, but has not attained his/her 21st birthday and is sentenced under the Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention Act (JJDPA) (18 U.S.C. 5031 through 5042). In corrections, the term juvenile, juvenile offender, juvenile resident, student, and resident are used interchangeably and are considered synonymous. For more information, visit

What is the BOP's policy on managing juvenile offenders? (top)

The Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention Act (JJDPA) details the requirements for the confinement of juveniles. See P5216.05, Juvenile Delinquents.

Why can't federal juveniles be housed with adults? (top)

Title 18 U.S.C. 5039 states, "No juvenile committed, whether pursuant to an adjudication of delinquency or conviction for an offense, to the custody of the Attorney General may be placed or retained in an adult jail or correctional institution in which he has regular contact with adults incarcerated because they have been convicted of a crime or are awaiting trial on criminal charges." Secure and community-based facilities are both considered to be correctional facilities.

Where are juveniles designated before being housed in a BOP facility? (top)

The BOP contracts for facilities to house juveniles in areas where services are needed. These facilities provide programs and services specifically for juvenile offenders and serve to keep the offenders out of the adult populations of BOP facilities.

Under what circumstances can a federal juvenile offender be housed in a BOP institution? (top)

A Federal juvenile can be housed in a Bureau institution when:

  • if sentenced as an adult, the individual turns 18, or

  • if sentenced as a juvenile, the individual turns 21.

What happens to a juvenile sentenced as an adult when he/she turns 18? (top)

That inmate is now regarded as an adult and there is no longer a requirement to separate that inmate from the adult population. He/she is transferred to an appropriate BOP facility. If the inmate was sentenced under JJDPA, a transfer to a BOP facility will not take place until that inmate's 21st birthday.

Can juvenile information be disclosed to the public? (top)

Title 18 U.S. C. (5038) limits the release of information regarding juveniles. Juvenile court proceedings are sealed; and the release of these records is generally restricted to courts, law enforcement agencies, victims, and treatment agency administrators.

If a juvenile is sentenced as an adult, upon turning 18 and arrival at the designated BOP facility, information that is public can be disclosed using the same procedures for information disclosure used with other inmates housed in the BOP.