Maintaining Energy Balance While Eating Out
Staying in energy balance can be challenging when you and your family go to a restaurant. Remember that you can still eat well with a few simple guidelines. Most importantly, don't be afraid to ask questions about the ingredients in the dish and how the food is prepared, and ask for substitutions that can be made.
Consider asking the waiter or waitress for:
- margarine instead of butter
- fat-free or low-fat milk rather than whole milk or cream
- visible fat to be trimmed from poultry or meat
- food without butter, gravy, or sauces
- salad dressing "on the side"
- less cooking oil in preparing your order
In addition, you and your family can choose from the menu those items that are:
- garden fresh
- lightly sautéed or stir-fried