HHS 508 Lab
The Web Communications & new Media Division has assembled a 508 Lab with a collection of assistive and evaluative technologies for use by OpDivs and StaffDivs.
Accessible PDF files- Adobe Acrobat Professional 9.0 extended
- Remediate existing or create new accessible PDFs and forms
- Check accessibility, edit tags and reading order for complex page layouts or unusual page elements
Section 508 PDF Plug-In- Commonlook
- Step-by-step guide through evaluation and repair of PDF files according to Section 508 standards.
- Simplify evaluation of forms and tagging tables
Screen Readers- Jaws and Window Eyes
- Test web pages and files with a screen reader for accessibility for people with visual disabilities
Voice Recognition Program- Dragon Naturally Speaking
- Test web pages and files for accessibility for people with dexterity disabilities by using voice to browse Web pages and edit forms
Magnification and Reading software- Zoomtext
- Improve clarity of text and graphics with color, contrast and brightness enhancements, and increase visibility of mouse pointer and cursor with size and color enhancements
Screen Recording- Captivate
- Capture and record screen activity to create captioned demos and simulations
Contact the Tishia Humes in WCD at 202-205-7358 to schedule a time to use the lab. Please indicate which software you are interested in using and if you would like a tutorial.