text size:  A  A

How to File a Complaint

The key to an effective consumer complaint is knowing where — and when — to file it. Have you given the company a chance to fix the problem? Often, a brief letter explaining what happened and what you hope the company will do can make a difference. But if the company won’t right a wrong, or if you suspect fraud, it’s time to file a complaint.

If your complaint is about a health product or service, you may want to contact one of the organizations below. But first, make sure you have important information on hand, like the name and address of the company. Filing a complaint won’t guarantee your problem gets fixed, but it can help build a case against a business later. For example, while the FTC can’t help individual consumers, its complaint database is a resource for law enforcement agencies all over the U.S. and abroad.

To report deceptive business practices or other types of consumer fraud:

  • FTC — Go to ftc.gov/complaint, or call 1-877-382-4357 (TTY: 1-866-653-4261).
  • Your state Attorney General — Find a list of state AGs at naag.org.
  • Better Business Bureau — File a complaint about a business, website, or non-profit or charitable organization at complaint.bbb.org.
  • Your local consumer protection office — Find an office near you at consumeraction.gov. Look under “Where to File a Complaint.”

To report problems with a medication or medical device:

To report scams and suspicious activity involving Medicare:

  • HHS Office of Inspector General (OIG) — Call the OIG’s fraud hotline at 1-800-447-8477 (TTY: 1-800-377-4950).
  • FTC — Visit ftc.gov/complaint, or call 1-877-382-4357 (TTY: 1-866-653-4261).

To report fraud or abuse related to a Medicare Part D prescription drug plan:

  • Medicare Drug Integrity Contractors (MEDICs) — Call 1-877-772-3379.

For help with a complaint about a long-term care facility:

  • Your state long-term care ombudsman— Find an ombudsman with the Ombudsman Locator at ltcombudsman.org.

To report suspected elder abuse, neglect, or exploitation:

  • National Center on Elder Abuse — Visit ncea.aoa.gov, or call 1-800-677-1116.