Skip To Main Content
DHS Seal Navigates to CBP homepage Logo Navigates to CBP homepage

  About CBP    Newsroom    Border Security    Trade    Travel    Careers  
Report Suspicious Activity to 1-800-BE-ALERT
Report Trade Violations Online - E-Allegations
Whats New In Travel
in Travel

Printer Friendly Page Link Icon
see also:
right arrow
 Non-Commercial Vehicle Importations for Non-Residents
 U.S. Visitor and Immigrant Status Indicator Technology (U.S. VISIT)
 CBP Traveler Entry Forms
 The CBP Inspection Process
(pdf - 117 KB.)
 Restricted/Prohibited Goods
 Bringing Agricultural Products Into the United States
right arrowon
 Locate a Port Of Entry - Air, Land, or Sea
right arrowforms:
 CBP Form 4457-Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad
Registration for Dutiable Personal Articles Prior to U.S. Departure
Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad
Prior to departure, bring the items to be registered to your local U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) office (In San Diego, 1240 North Harbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92101) between the hours of 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. The CBP officer on duty will give you a blank CF4457 to complete. Fill in the "Name of Owner," "Address of Owner" and "Description of Articles" blocks, and sign in the "Signature of Owner" block. The CBP officer will compare the merchandise with the information entered on the form, completing and signing the blocks grayed out above, and return the completed form to you for subsequent presentation to CBP each time the registered articles are returned. The form remains valid for re-importation of the registered articles for as long as the document is legible. The certificate is not transferable.

NOTE: Foreign repairs or alterations to articles, whether or not the articles are registered with CBP, are dutiable. Such repairs or alterations must be declared to CBP when the articles re-enter the United States, whether or not they were done free of charge.

Skip To See Also for this Page

How to
Use the Website

Featured RSS Links
What's New Contacts Ports Questions/Complaints Forms Sitemap EEO/DCR | FOIA | Privacy Statement | Get Plugins | En Español
Department of  
Homeland Security  
  Inquiries (877) CBP-5511   |   International Callers (703) 526-4200   |   TTD (866) 880-6582