Skip To Main Content
DHS Seal Navigates to CBP homepage Logo Navigates to CBP homepage

  About CBP    Newsroom    Border Security    Trade    Travel    Careers  
Report Suspicious Activity to 1-800-BE-ALERT
Report Trade Violations Online - E-Allegations
Whats New In Travel
in Travel

Printer Friendly Page Link Icon
see also:
right arrow
 Non-Commercial Vehicle Importations for Non-Residents
 U.S. Visitor and Immigrant Status Indicator Technology (U.S. VISIT)
 CBP Traveler Entry Forms
 The CBP Inspection Process
(pdf - 117 KB.)
 Restricted/Prohibited Goods
 Registration for Dutiable Personal Articles Prior to U.S. Departure
 Bringing Agricultural Products Into the United States
right arrowon
 Exporting a Motor Vehicle
 Locate a Port Of Entry - Air, Land, or Sea
right arrowon the web:
 EPA Vehicle Requirements
 EPA Form 3520-1
 Department of Transportation Vehicle Requirements
 Department of Transportation HS-7 Form
U.S. Residents Importing and Exporting Vehicles
A vehicle transported/driven from the United States for non-commercial or private use outside the country may return duty free to the United States, if U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is provided specific proof of U.S. origination. This proof may be a State issued vehicle registration card or a CBP certificate of registration (CBP 4455) completed and verified by a CBP officer before departure from the United States.

Know that any repairs or accessories acquired abroad for your vehicle must be declared on your return and may be subject to duty.

Warning: Catalytic-equipped vehicles (1976 or later model years) driven outside the United States, Canada, or Mexico will not, in many cases, meet EPA standards when brought back to the United States. As unleaded fuel generally is not available in other countries, the catalytic converter will become inoperative and must be replaced. Contact the Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, D.C. 20460, for details and exceptions.

When planning to purchase a vehicle outside the United States and then import the vehicle into the United States, it would be advisable to review our publication "Importing or Exporting a Car" on the related links section of this site for general guidance. If planning to permanently export a vehicle be aware that there are several regulations that must be met prior to lawful exportation.

For additional questions, contact your local CBP Port office.

Skip To See Also for this Page

How to
Use the Website

Featured RSS Links
What's New Contacts Ports Questions/Complaints Forms Sitemap EEO/DCR | FOIA | Privacy Statement | Get Plugins | En Español
Department of  
Homeland Security  
  Inquiries (877) CBP-5511   |   International Callers (703) 526-4200   |   TTD (866) 880-6582