[Detail] Map of Liberia. Lith. by E. Weber & Co., 1845.
Maps of Liberia, 1830-1870, a subset of Map Collections: 1500-2003, includes maps from the American Colonization Society (ACS) that was organized in 1817 to resettle free black Americans in West Africa. These maps show early settlements in Liberia, political subdivisions, and some of the lots that were assigned to settlers. Other maps in the collection show areas of Liberia that were given to settlers by indigenous Liberian chiefs. One map in the collection is thought to have been created by the black American explorer Benjamin Anderson.
In a hurry? Save or print these Collection Connections as a single file.
These online exhibits provide context and additional information about this collection.
These historical era(s) are best represented in the collection although they may not be all-encompassing.
- Expansion and Reform, 1801-1861
- The Civil War and Reconstruction, 1850-1877
Related Collections and Exhibits
These collections and exhibits contain thematically-related primary and secondary sources. Also browse the Collection Finder for more related material on the American Memory Web site.
- The African-American Experience in Ohio, 1850-1920
- African-American Mosaic
- African American Odyssey
- African American Perspectives, 1818-1907
- African-American Sheet Music, 1850-1920
- American Life Histories, 1936-1940
- America's First Look into the Camera: Daguerreotypes, 1839-1862
- Civil War Photographs, 1861-1865
- First-Person Narratives of the American South, 1860-1920
- From Slavery to Freedom: The African-American Pamphlet Collection, 1824-1909
- Abraham Lincoln Papers at the Library of Congress
Recommended additional sources of information.
Specific guidance for searching this collection
Search for Liberia maps using the keyword search, keeping the selection set on "Search American Colonization Society Collection ONLY". (Otherwise, you will search all the map collections.)
You can find maps by browsing the Subject Index, Creator Index, or Geographic Location list of maps.
For help with general search strategies, see Finding Items in American Memory.