Personal Belongings in Library Buildings
Individuals should limit the amount of personal property they bring into the Library. Certain prohibited items cannot be brought into Library buildings. Dangerous weapons are prohibited items and include, but are not limited to, firearms, explosives, knives, razors, and box-cutters. In addition, oversized (not exceeding 25"W x 15"H) suitcases or bags that will not fit on the x-ray conveyor belts are prohibited. No provisions are made for checking or holding prohibited items.
Personal Belongings in Research Areas
The Library’s reading rooms restrict the type of personal belongings that researchers may bring with them. Items that may NOT be brought into these research areas include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Briefcases and cases for other equipment (laptop computers)
- Computers larger than laptop size
- Containers larger than 9.5" x 6.25" (includes paper bags, boxes, backpacks, shopping bags, sleeping bags, etc.)
- Food and/or Drinks (includes bottled water); Food or drink containers
- Handbags or purses larger than 9.5" x 6.25"
- Musical instruments and their cases
- Outerwear (such as raincoats and overcoats)
- Pets [Note: exception for service animals, i.e., any guide dog or signal dog that is trained to provide a service to a person with a disability]
- Photocopiers larger than hand-held
- Scissors or other cutting implements
Cloakrooms are provided for researchers in both the Jefferson (LJ-G39-G) and Madison (LM-140) Buildings for the storage of personal belongings. Also available at each researcher cloakroom are clear plastic bags, which researchers can use to carry non-prohibited items into the reading rooms. Cloakroom hours are from 8:30 a.m. to 9:45 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays; and from 8:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. on Tuesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. An additional cloakroom is available to visitors in the Jefferson Building West ground floor from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday.
Adams Building: Science and Business Reading Room
Researchers are allowed to bring the following items with them:
- a coat and/or sweater, sports jacket or similar garment
- a purse or pocket book smaller than 9.5" x 6.25"
- a laptop computer
- one additional briefcase, knapsack or similar bag no larger than 18 x 13x 8 inches
Researchers are NOT permitted to bring:
- suitcases on wheels
- expedition-size backpacks
- multiple bags
- other containers such as large plastic bags
- food or drinks (includes bottled water)
- food or drink containers
- audio devices and cellular phones and pagers in audible mode
- all of the prohibited items listed above under "Personal Belongings in Research Areas" with the exception of an overcoat and umbrella
Researchers arriving with barred items will be directed to the Jefferson or Madison cloakrooms to check them.
Safeguarding Your Personal Property
As in any other public situation, researchers in the Library must exercise care to safeguard their personal property. Valuable property, particularly handbags and computers, should never be left unattended in the reading rooms or elsewhere in the Library.
The Library is not responsible for the loss of personal property brought into the buildings. All instances of loss should be reported immediately to the U.S. Capitol Police, located in Room LJ-G40 in the Jefferson Building or LM-G01 in the Madison Building (view maps and floor plans). Alternatively, a researcher may inform a reading room staff member, who can contact the U.S. Capitol Police for on-site response.