METS News and Announcements
METS Profile Schema 2.0 Released (April 16, 2010)
The METS Editorial Board has released a new major version of the METS Profile XML Schema. METS Profiles are intended to describe a class of METS documents in sufficient detail to provide both document authors and programmers the guidance they require to create and process METS documents conforming with a particular profile. The new 2.0 Profile Schema introduces some improvements identified by METS Profile users, and adds some features to lay the groundwork for future building of machine-readable profiles. Some of the more substantive changes in this version include:
- Adding the ability to state requirements in machine-readable ways.
- Adding a “Document Model” section.
- Adding a “Use Cases” section.
- Allowing some XHTML markup inside elements of the Profile intended for textual documentation.
- Allowing the expression of requirements for a profile in multiple languages.
- Adding the ability to attach XML snippets as examples to requirements specified in the Profile.
- Adding the ability to express levels (should, must, may, etc. from RFC 2119) on requirements.
The METS Profile Schema 2.0 may be found at:
Formal Schema documentation is posted at:
Fuller documentation for the various components is available at: