[Detail] John Cage's "The Wonderful Widow of Eighteen Springs"
The The Moldenhauer Archives presents 130 items from the richest composite collection of musical documents ever received by the Library. Documenting western musical history from the Renaissance to the Modern Era, this collection includes works by Johann Sebastian Bach, Camille Saint-Saëns, Richard Wagner, John Cage and Franz Listz. Also included with this online presentation is a guide to the archives with information on some of the works included in this collection, The Rosaleen Moldenhauer Memorial: Music History from Primary Sources: A Guide to the Moldenhauer Archives (2000). This online presentation features the full text of this guide, which contains a series of essays by musicologists discussing individual items from the Moldenhauer Archives, as well as an inventory of items held in the Library's collection and in nine other institutions worldwide.
These online exhibits provide context and additional information about this collection.
These historical era(s) are best represented in the collection although they may not be all-encompassing.
- Intensified Hemispheric Interactions, 1000-1500
- Colonial Settlement, 1492-1763
- The American Revolution, 1763-1783
- The New Nation, 1780-1815
- Expansion and Reform, 1801-1861
- The Civil War and Reconstruction, 1850-1877
- Development of the Industrial United States, 1876-1915
- Emergence of Modern America, 1890-1930
- The Great Depression and World War II, 1929-1945
- Postwar United States, 1945-early 1970s
Related Collections and Exhibits
These collections and exhibits contain thematically-related primary and secondary sources. Also browse the Collection Finder for more related material on the American Memory Web site.
- The Aaron Copland Collection
- The Leonard Bernstein Collection
- Performing Arts Encyclopedia
- The Irving Fine Collection
- Song Of America
- The Roger Reynolds Collection
Recommended additional sources of information.
Specific guidance for searching this collection.
To find items in this collection search by Keyword or browse by Title or Name.
For help with general search strategies, see Finding Items in American Memory.