How do I change my existing direct deposit?

Go Direct® can only be used if you currently receive your Federal benefit payments by check and you want to begin receiving your benefits by Direct Deposit instead. If you are already receiving your Federal benefit payment by Direct Deposit, and would like to have your payments sent to a new or different account, you should call the Federal agency that pays your benefits.

You may click on the agency listed below or scroll down for more information.

For all other types of federal benefit payments, please contact the respective paying agency directly for information about changing your direct deposit.

Social Security Administration (SS and SSI)

Recipients already receiving Social Security and or Supplemental Security Income benefits through direct deposit may change their account or bank information by calling 1 (800) SSA-1213 (1-800-772-1213).

Social Security's toll-free number operates from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday to Friday. If you have a touch-tone phone, recorded information and services are available 24 hours a day, including weekends and holidays. People who are deaf or hard of hearing may call SSA toll-free TTY number, 1 (800) 325-0778, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. on Monday through Friday. Please have your Social Security number available when you call.


The Social Security Administration provides a secure Web environment where you may change your direct deposit information. Through their site, you may change your current direct deposit to another account or financial institution. To utilize this service, you must establish a password at the Social Security site. Or you can visit the Social Security site.

Department of Labor

A toll-free number has been designated for each of the nine Division of Coal Mine Workers' Compensation district offices. Visit the Department of Labor web site. For a list of district offices and their phone numbers.

Department of Veterans Affairs

Veterans Compensation, Pension and Education (MGIB) recipients already receiving benefits may change their direct deposit information by calling 1 (877) 838-2778, Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:50 p.m. Central Time or contact them online at Department of Veterans Affairs web site. Please be prepared to provide your new financial institution's 9 digit routing number, your new account number and type of account (checking or savings).

Office of Personnel Management/Civil Service

Retirees, annuitants, and survivor annuitants already receiving benefits may change their direct deposit information by calling 1 (888) 767-6738.

Railroad Retirement Board

Recipients already receiving Railroad Retirement (RRB) benefits may change their direct deposit by calling the Railroad Retirement Board office at 1 (877) 772-5772.

Defense Finance and Accounting Service

Military salary recipients please contact DFAS/Military Customer Service at 1 (800) 321-1080 or visiting Defense Finance and Accounting Service Site.