Modeling the impact of cancer control efforts on US colorectal cancer mortality
Our purpose is to inform cancer control planning and public policy discussion.
The NCI’s Cancer Intervention and Surveillance Modeling Network (CISNET) developed this Web site to help cancer control planners, program staff and policy makers consider the impact of risk factor reduction, increased early detection, and increased access to optimal treatment on future colorectal cancer mortality rates. This work was completed in 2005 and has not been currently updated. Although the projections themselves are out of date, they are still instructive with respect to the relative magnitude of the impact of different cancer control interventions on mortality.
Interactive CRC Mortality Graphs
Create charts and graphs projecting future trends in CRC mortality based on results from simulation models. Results are presented as the percent decline in mortality and deaths per 100,000.
This site shows the results of simulation modeling—computer simulations of colorectal disease progression in a population with the characteristics of the US population. Use this information to:
- see how policy options to increase cancer prevention, screening, and access to state-of-the-science treatment can affect future mortality trends.
- help determine cancer control program priority areas for new intervention investments.
- identify research questions and opportunities.
To get started:
- Watch and listen to our Introductory Tutorial (Flash - 1:10 min.).
- View Key Findings to answer important questions about how best to reduce CRC mortality.
- Explore the Interactive Graphs to view and compare results of the simulation models.
Suggested Citation: Colorectal Cancer Mortality Projections, National Cancer Institute, NIH, DHHS, Bethesda, MD, December 2007, http://cisnet.cancer.gov/projections/colorectal/.
All material in this report is in the public domain and may be reproduced or copied without permission. Citation as to source, however, is appreciated.
For a printable summary of the Colorectal Cancer Mortality Projections Web Site, download the Fact Sheet (PDF).