GIS Data Sources
GIS Data Sources
NCI and Other Government Data
These sources of geographic data are made available by the US government.
- Geo.Data.gov - an e-government initiative to serve as a single portal for geospatial information from the government.
- National Collaborative on Childhood Obesity Research (NCCOR)
National Academy of Sciences
- Licensing Geographic Data and Services - not a data source, but a study on licensing geographic data and services to and from government.
National Cancer Institute
- Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Reports (SEER) Program - includes databases, software, and reports.
US Geological Survey
- U.S. Water Data
- National Atlas - includes interactive maps and downloadable data.
- The National Map - includes national and local maps and data, publications, and software tools.
- USGS node of the National Geospatial Program Office - a component of the National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI).
- US Census Bureau - geographic products and resources based on the US Census and Census Tracts.
- Cartographic Boundary Files - selected generalized extracts from the Census Bureau's TIGER geographic database.
Environmental Protection Agency
- EnviroMapper Storefront - an online tool used to map various types of environmental information at the national, state, and county levels.
Centers for Disease Control
- WISQUARS (Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System) - an interactive database system that provides customized reports of injury-related data.
- Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System - self-reported data on health-related behaviors by state & county.
- GATHER - Geographic Analysis Tool for Health & Environmental Research. Provides health-related spatial data and functionality from the Centers for Disease Control and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. Includes Environmental Health Analyst interactive tool.
Federal Geographic Data Committee
- Federal Geographic Data Committee - an interagency committee which is developing the National Spatial Data Infrastructure.
- National Geospatial Data Clearinghouse - a searchable collection of over 250 spatial data servers containing digital geographic data primarily for use in Geographic Information Systems, image processing systems, and other modelling software.
National Library of Medicine
- TOXNET - a cluster of databases on toxicology, hazardous chemicals, and related areas.
Bureau of Transportation Statistics
- Major Activities in GIS at the Bureau of Transportation Statistics - information and spatial data about the US transportation network.
These sources of geographic data are made available by private companies or organizations.
- Area Resource File - health-related data compiled by the Health Resources & Services Administration.
- Data and statistics at FirstGov - FirstGov.gov is the U.S. government's official web portal.
- GIS Data Depot - provides free GIS data. Includes some boundaries.
- Managed Areas Database - a comprehensive GIS database for the conterminous United States which includes all types of managed areas (e.g., Wilderness Areas, Indian Reservations, Military Reservations, National & State Parks, National & State Forests).
- National GIS data sets from the National Park Service - includes satellite imagery of parks and Civil War locations.
- Up-to-date telephone area code maps - from the North American Numbering Plan Administration.
- World Health Organization mortality database application - includes cancer mortality statistics by county or regions.
- CINA+ Online - national cancer data from the North American Association of Central Cancer Registries (NAACCR), including NCI SEER data.
- Mapping Resources - from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
- The Atlas of Canada - includes free data and mapping services.
- ArcGIS Online - easy online discovery, access, visualization, and dissemination of geospatial information from Esri.
- Gridded Population of the World - from Columbia University.
- LandScan - a worldwide population database compiled on a 30" x 30" latitude/longitude grid, from the Oak Ridge National Laboratory Global Population Project
- GIS File Library - a compilation of tools and data from Directions Magazine.
- GISuser.com Data Directory - information and pointers to publicly available data products.