Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16: DS 3053

  • You are the non-applying parent or guardian providing written consent for your minor child to apply for a U.S. passport because you are unable to appear in person with your child (Statement of Consent)  or
  • You are the applying parent or guardian, and the written consent of the non-applying parent or guardian cannot be obtained (Statement of Special Circumstances)


Read and understand Steps 1-3 before leaving this page.

STEP 1: Complete and Print Form

Completing Form DS-3053 using black ink.  Make sure that all of the entered information is complete and correct. Illegible applications may delay application processing times.

  • Complete item 4a, Statement of Consent, only if you are a non-applying parent or guardian consenting to the issuance of a passport for your minor child.
  • Complete item 5, Statement of Special Circumstances, only if you are an applying parent or guardian and the written consent of the non-applying parent or guardian cannot be obtained. The statement must explain in detail the non-applying parent's unavailability and recent efforts made to contact the non-applying parent.
NOTE: Form DS-3053 can also be obtained from your local Acceptance Facility or a Passport Agency.

STEP 2: Notarize Form DS-3053 & Submit Photocopy of the ID (Only with Statement of Consent)

Step 2 only applies if you are submitting Form DS-3053 as a Statement of Consent.  Statements of Special Circumstances do not need to be notarized.  If you are a non-applying parent or guardian consenting to the issuance of a passport for a minor child, you must:

  • Sign and date Form DS-3053 in the presence of a Certified Notary Public
  • Submit a photocopy of the front and back side of your ID with Form DS-3053

STEP 3: Submit Form DS-3053 + Completed Form DS-11

In all cases, Form DS-3053 must be submitted with Form DS-11 at an Acceptance Facility or Passport Agency.

IMPORTANT: A Statement of Consent from a non-applying parent must be submitted with the minor's passport application within 3 months of the date it was notarized.  A new, notarized Statement of Consent from the non-applying parent will be required for future applications.


You should make an appointment to be seen at a Regional Passport Agency only if:

  • The U.S. passport is needed in less than 2 weeks for international travel
  • The U.S. passport is needed within 4 weeks to obtain a foreign visa

Contact the National Passport Information Center to make an appointment or locate a Passport Agency.

World Map

If you are overseas and need to apply for or renew your U.S. passport, please follow the instructions under the U.S. passport section in Tips for Americans Traveling Abroad.