Online Training Courses
Researchers new to GIS may benefit from these online training and educational materials.
- What is GIS? - an overview of GIS with links to more detail, by Esri.
- Free Training at Esri Virtual Campus - free training modules and workshops; many more classes offered for a fee.
- Data's Spatial Dimension: A Symposium on Uses of Spatial Data Analysis and Geographic Information Technologies for Health and Human Services Policy and Planning - includes speakers' slides.
- GIS Education - lists of online training and educational material.
- Guidelines For Using Rural-Urban Classification Systems for Public Health Assessment [PDF - 3.36 MB] - from the Washington State Dept of Health.
- Improving Public Health Through Geographical Information Systems: An Instructional Guide to Major Concepts and Their Implementation - by Gerald Rushton.
- Mathematics of Cartography - an introduction to the mathematics used in mapmaking, by Cynthia Lanius.
- GIS in Public Health: Using Mapping and Spatial Analysis Technologies for Health Protections - archive of May 11, 2000 cybercast from the Public Health Training Network at the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).