The goal of this program is to provide medical and dental students with an introduction to medical informatics and to interest some of them to pursue a career in the field. The NIH Clinical Elective in Medical Informatics provides students who are interested in the use of computers in
medicine an overview of the field of medical informatics. The elective offers students
an opportunity to participate in research under the mentorship of NIH research
staff. Examples of potential research for student participation include:
Eligibility and Application Procedures
- Clinical Informatics
- Consumer Health Informatics
- World Wide Web Applications
- Wireless Computing for Medical Applications
- Database Design
- Biomedical Knowledge Discovery
- Medical Language Processing
- Automated Image Processing
- Next Generation Networking
The Elective in Medical Informatics is available to students enrolled in U.S. accredited medial
schools. The following application materials are required:
In the application letter, please indicate an eight week period that best meets your schedule.
- A letter of interest stating career goals, desired dates of
attendance, email address, postal address and day time phone number.
- Copy of curriculum vitae.
- Letters of approval and recommendation from the Office
of the Dean of Student Affairs and from one instructor.
Applications and Inquiries
Please address all questions and application materials to:
U.S. National Library of Medicine
8600 Rockville Pike, Bldg. 38A, MSC 3826
Bethesda, MD 20894