Ready ... or not?
Are you ready to change your drinking?
If so, choose whether to cut
down or quit and make a change
plan. Don't be surprised if you continue to have mixed feelings. You may need to re-make your decision several times before becoming comfortable with it.
If not, consider these suggestions in the meantime:
- Keep track of how often and how much you're drinking
- Notice how drinking affects you
- Make or re-make a list of pros and cons about changing
- Deal with other priorities that may be in the way
- Ask for support from your doctor, a friend, or someone else you trust
- Take steps to be safe
- Come back to visit this site from time to time
Don't wait for a crisis or to "hit bottom."
When someone is drinking too much, making a change earlier is likely to be more successful and less destructive to individuals and their families.