IRS Logo

How to Contact the IRS

Call Us With Your Tax Questions
Live assistance is available Monday through Friday.

Contact Your Local IRS Office
IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers for when you believe your issue is best handled face-to-face. Hours of service and other local information is provided on a per state basis.

Contact the IRS Return Preparer Program
PTIN call center phone numbers.

IRS Mailing Addresses ("Where to File")
For those who don't file their federal tax returns electronically, the "Where to File" pages provide mailing addresses for filing all paper tax returns. You may also use your appropriate "Where to File" address for other written correspondence with the IRS.

Use Where's My Refund? to check on the status of your refund
The improved Where's My Refund? tool will give you personalized refund information based on the processing of your 2012 tax return. Just use the IRS2Go mobile app or click on the Refunds tab to access Where's My Refund?. You can start checking on the status of your return within 24 hours after we have received your e-filed return or 4 weeks after you mail a paper return.

Contact Your Taxpayer Advocate
If you have an ongoing issue with the IRS that has not been resolved through normal processes, or you have suffered, or are about to suffer a significant hardship/economic burden as a result of the administration of the tax laws, contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service. We have offices in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico.

How to Make an Offshore Voluntary Disclosure
Taxpayers wanting to report undisclosed income or assets should come in through the IRS Voluntary Disclosure Program.

Call the Health Coverage Tax Credit (HCTC) Customer Contact Center
The Health Coverage Tax Credit (HCTC) pays 80% of a qualified health plan premium for eligible individuals, either monthly as their health plan premium becomes due or yearly as a credit on their federal tax return. If you have questions about HCTC, give us a call.

Contact IRS Internationally
International Services: IRS contact information for taxpayers who live outside the United States.

Suspicious e-Mails, Phishing, and Identity Theft
The IRS does not send out unsolicited e-mails asking for personal information. An electronic mailbox has been established for you to report suspicious e-mails claiming to have been sent by the IRS.

How Do You Report Suspected Tax Fraud Activity?
If you have information about an individual or company you suspect is not complying with the tax law, report this activity.

Contact the Web Site Help Desk
If you need help finding something on the site, understanding our different file formats, printing files you've downloaded, installing or using the tax products CD-ROM, or any similar technical problem, here is the place to seek assistance.

Send us Your Comments and Feedback by E-mail
This is NOT the place for tax law questions or questions regarding your specific tax return, but you can give us some constructive feedback regarding the web site if you like. Give us your email address if you want a response, but don't include any social security numbers or other personal tax account information.

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 13-Feb-2013