The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration

SAMHSA Stakeholder Feedback

I suggest SAMHSA...

LGBTQI2-S research, training, data collection, policy, affirming services and suicide prevention now

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service

You'll receive a confirmation email with a link to create a password (optional).

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark A. DavisMark A. Davis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service

You'll receive a confirmation email with a link to create a password (optional).

Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nechelle HarrisNechelle Harris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mark I am a long time advocate for the LGBTQI2 youth community here in Allentown ,Pa. You are so right on target when you focus on the relationship and effects of Mental illness and coming out and or holding it in. Prevention and awarness is needed to saving lives, ensure rights and all the neccessary services that they deserve. INo longer will the LGBT community be discriminated and or overlooked by the mental health systems. Let us continue the fight. Nechelle

• Mark A. DavisMark A. Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Time has come to get out of the closets of denial that people from sexual and gender minority communities are at a higher risk for suicide across demographic, geographic, generational divides. The LGBT National Agenda denies mental illness exists and believes teen suicide is due to bullying; not accounting for many factors. LGBT communities mental health, addiction, co-occurring medical and suicide prevention emergency concerns have be closeted for sexier high profile - just as valuable - issue based needs for ENDA, Hate Crime, DADT, Same Sex Marriage, some attention to LGBT immegration and HIV/AIDS, breast cancer, smoking cessasion campaigns. We are failing in HIV prevention and totally ignoring saving lives so we can afford the rights we deserve. In contracts, mental health systems discriminate LGBT folks, violate confidentiality, put folks at harm and use faith-based conversion therapy as an example of that harm. Go to www.PArecovery.org to see the recommendations and email me, Mark Davis at madpride@ymail.com to learn about our progress with KPRI - Keystone Pride Recovery Initiative. At PArecovery site look under statewide initiatives for Behavioral Services for LGBTQI Individuals. We are very thankful for SAMHSA grants to roll recommendations across the Commonwealth and feel pride in sharing with other states, regions and areas of great change, reform and "trans"formation co-occurring in the Queerstone State.

Feedback and Knowledge Base