This is a Federal Civil Service position. Applicants interested in joining the Bureau of Prisons via the
U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps (PHS) should visit the
PHS website to apply.
Physician Assistant - GS-0603-7/9/11. This position involves assisting a physician by providing diagnostic and therapeutic medical care and services to inmates
in Federal prisons under the guidance of the physician. The work requires knowledge of specific observation and examination procedures, and the ability to perform diagnostic and
therapeutic tasks. The work does not include the full scope of interpretation of medical findings requiring the full professional background of the licensed physician. Physician
assistants assist in the examination and observation of patients by performing such duties as taking case histories, conducting physical examinations, and ordering laboratory
studies during hospital rounds and clinic visits. As directed by a physician, physician assistants carry out special procedures; for example, they give injections or other
medication, apply or change dressing, perform lumbar punctures, or suture minor lacerations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs): Candidates must demonstrate they have the following KSAs to successfully perform their job as a Physician Assistant: (1)
skill in making diagnoses, selecting and providing appropriate treatment for medical or surgical emergencies (life or death or severe injury), as indicated until emergency assistance
arrives; (2) ability to assess a patient's condition and to initiate appropriate treatment; (3) knowledge of pharmaceuticals to treat disease and illness, to include a knowledge of the
mechanism of action, side effects, toxic nature, and drug interactions of medications; (4) ability to interpret diagnostic tests in order to determine therapeutic treatment plans; and
(5) ability to deal effectively with patients.
All applicants must meet the following basic requirements for all grade levels:
- Graduation from a physician assistant educational program, accredited by the Accreditation Review Committee on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA)
or its predecessors, at a college, university, or educational institution that is accredited by an accrediting body or organization recognized by the Secretary,
U.S. Department of Education.
- Successful completion of the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) examination; must maintain status as a certified physician
assistant, including completion of all requirements for continuing medical education (CME) and re-certification.
Education and Experience Requirements:
Applicants who meet the above basic requirements may qualify for the following grade levels if they meet the educational and/or specialized experience requirements
GS-07: Applicants who meet at least one of the following requirements may qualify for this grade level:
- Completion of an accredited physician assistant educational program (certificate of completion, associate degree, or bachelor's degree); or
- Completion of a bachelor's degree in a related health care or health related science and graduation from an accredited physician assistant educational
GS-09: Applicants who meet at least one of the following requirements may qualify for this grade level:
- A minimum of one full year of work experience as a certified physician assistant equivalent to the GS-07 grade level and graduation from an accredited
physician assistant educational program as described above;
- Completion of the Master of Physician Assistant Studies; or
- Completion of a master's degree in a related health care or health related science and completion of an accredited physician assistant educational program. Examples of related master's degree programs include, but are not limited to, Master of Medical Sciences, Master of Public Health, Master of Biomedical Sciences, or other related major field of study.
GS-11: Applicants who meet at least one of the following requirements may qualify for this grade level:
- A minimum of one full year of work experience as a certified physician assistant equivalent to the GS-09 grade level and completion of an accredited
physician assistant educational program as described above; or
- Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree in a related health field and completion of an accredited physician assistant educational program. Examples of
related doctoral degree programs include, but are not limited to, public health, allied health field, public health education, or other related health science.
How to Apply: Search USAJOBS for vacancies (series number GS-0603), or view Health Services Vacancies.