Welcome to the NIH Office of the Senior Official for Privacy (OSOP)
We hope you will find this site informative and that it will give you a better understanding of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) privacy program. We will continue to enhance this website to keep it updated with current information.
The OSOP is located the Office of the Director (OD), Office of Management (OM), Office of Management Assessment (OMA), Division of Management Support (DMS).
- Coordinate NIH privacy-related activities;
- Comply with Federal privacy laws and regulations;
- Develop NIH privacy awareness training and education;
- Communicate evolving Federal, OMB, and HHS privacy requirements to NIH staff;
- Report on NIH privacy compliance; and
- Liaison with IC Privacy Coordinators to manage IC privacy programs
Privacy Working Groups:
- Privacy Management Committee (PMC) – The PMC serves as a management entity, providing oversight to the Privacy Coordinator Group (PCG) in all issues related to privacy and to ensure that NIH Institutes and Centers (ICs) are aware of evolving privacy requirements, NIH privacy policies, and their roles and responsibilities with respect to privacy implementation. In addition, the PMC helps to provide direction and strategy for the future implementation of privacy best practices and compliance-driven activities at NIH.
- PMC Charter: http://oma.od.nih.gov/ms/privacy/PMCCharter.doc
- Privacy Coordinator Group (PCG) – The PCG serves as a forum in which the NIH Senior Official for Privacy (SOP) and Privacy Act Officer can ensure that IC Privacy Coordinators are aware of evolving privacy requirements, NIH Privacy policies, and their roles and responsibilities with respect to privacy implementation. In addition, the working group provides an opportunity to discuss privacy implementation strategies.
- PCG Charter: http://oma.od.nih.gov/ms/privacy/PCGCharter.doc
Key Privacy Areas of Interest at NIH:
- Privacy Act
- FISMA and Agency Privacy Management
- Privacy Impact Assessments (PIAs)
- Web Privacy
- Breach Response
- Homeland Security Presidential Directive (HSPD) -12
- Training Resources
- Policy & Memoranda
Subsections of Key Privacy Areas of Interest at NIH:
- Overview and Requirements
- Policies and Procedures
- Roles and Responsibilities (e.g., Points of Contacts (POCs))
- Education and Outreach
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
NIH Office of the Senior Official for Privacy (OSOP)
6011 Executive Blvd, Suite 601
Rockville, Maryland 20892-7669
Return to the top