Obtain Copies of Passport Records

There are two options for obtaining copies of your passport records:

  1. Passport Records for Issuances 1925 – Present
    1. Requesting Your Own Record
      Passport Services maintains United States passport records for passports issued from 1925 to the present. These records normally consist of applications for United States passports and supporting evidence of United States citizenship, and are protected by the Privacy Act of 1974, (5 USC 552(a)). Passport records do not include evidence of travel such as entrance/exit stamps, visas, residence permits, etc., since this information is entered into the passport book after it is issued.

      The Privacy Act allows you to obtain copies of records in your own name and the records of your minor children. To request these records, please submit a typed or clearly printed NOTARIZED request that provides:

      1. Your full name at birth and any subsequent name changes and/or the full name of your minor child or children, if you are requesting their records;
      2. Your date and place of birth and/or those of your minor child or children;
      3. Your current mailing address;
      4. Your current daytime telephone number;
      5. Your current e-mail address, if available;
      6. Your reason for the request;
      7. The dates or estimated dates your passports were issued;
      8. Your passport numbers or any other information that will help us locate your records; and
      9. A copy of requestor’s valid Federal or State issued photo identification (driver’s license)

      There is a no fee to search for your passport record if you are not requesting a certified copy.

    2. Certified Passport Records
      Certified copies of passport records may be requested. If you would like a certified copy of a passport record, the certification fee is $50.00. Checks or money orders should be made payable to “Department of State".

    3. Third-Party Requests
      Third party requests must include one of the following:
      1. Notarized consent from the owner of the passport records,
      2. Proof of guardianship,
      3. Death certificate, or
      4. Court order signed by a judge of competent jurisdiction requesting the Department of State to release passport records.
      The only exception to this requirement is when the owner of the passport records was born 100 years or more ago. Your third party request does not have to be notarized but should include the information described in the section above that covers requesting your own record and a $150.00 search fee for each individual for whom a record search is requested. Checks or money orders should be made payable to “Department of State".

    4. Mailing Address
      All requests for passport records issued from 1925 to present should be mailed to:
      Department of State
      Office of Legal Affairs
      Law Enforcement Liaison Division
      1111 19th Street, N.W. – Rm. 500
      Washington, DC 20036
      Contact: (202-955-0447)

  2. Passport Records for Issuances Prior to 1925

    The National Archives and Records Administration maintain records for passport issuances prior to 1925. You may write to them at the following address:

    National Archives and Records Administration
    Archives 1
    Reference Branch
    8th & Pennsylvania Ave. NW
    Washington, DC