Printer Friendly

Students and Exchange Visitors

If you wish to pursue full-time academic or vocational studies in the United States, you may be eligible for one of two nonimmigrant student categories.  The “F” category is for academic students and the “M” is for vocational students. To learn more, please see the Students and Exchange Visitors page on the Immigration and Customs Enforcement website.

If you wish to participate in an exchange program you may be eligible for the “J” category for exchange visitors. The J visa program is for educational and cultural exchange programs. For more information, please see the Exchange Visitor Visa page on the Department of State website. 

Students: Academic and Vocational (F and M visas)


Academic students


Spouses and children of F-1 


Canadian or Mexican national academic commuter students


Vocational students


Spouses and children of M1


Canadian or Mexican national vocational commuter students

Exchange Visitors (J visas)


Exchange visitors


Spouses and children of J-1

U.S. Federal Tax Information

Aliens temporarily present in the United States as students, trainees, scholars, teachers, researchers, exchange visitors and cultural exchange visitors are subject to special rules with respect to the taxation of their income.

Last updated: 05/23/2012