Skip to Main Content
Text size: SmallMediumLargeExtra-Large

Finding Dental Care

NIDCR leads the nation in conducting and supporting research to improve oral health. As a research institution, NIDCR does not provide referrals or dental care for the general public. The resources below, however, may help you find the care you need.

Does NIDCR provide dental care?

No, NIDCR does not provide dental care or financial assistance for care. We are a research institution.
Learn more about NIDCR.

    How can I get a referral or second opinion?

    NIDCR does not provide referrals to private practitioners. For a list of dental practitioners in your area, contact your state dental organization External Web Site Policy or your local dental societyExternal Web Site Policy

    Another good source of second opinions is your
    local dental schoolExternal Web Site Policy

      Where can I find low-cost dental care?

      Dental schools often have clinics that allow dental students to gain experience treating patients while providing care at a reduced cost. Experienced, licensed dentists closely supervise the students. Contact your
      local dental schoolExternal Web Site Policy

      Dental hygiene schools may also offer supervised, low-cost care as part of the training experience for dental hygienists. Contact your local dental hygiene school.External Web Site Policy

      You may also be able to find care at federally-funded health centers, where you pay what you can afford, based on your income. Health centers are in most cities and many rural areas. Locate federally-funded health centers.External Web Site Policy

        Where can I find more information?

        See Finding Low Cost Dental Care. 

        Contact Us


        This page last updated: March 25, 2011