Skip to main content

National Institutes of Health

Text Size: sML

Make a Contribution


On this page:


Can NIDCD accept donations?

Although the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD) is a federally funded organization and not a fundraising organization, Congress has authorized it to accept bequests and donations to support its mission.

Donations to NIDCD are handled in our “Gift Fund” account, which is separate from the appropriation (funding) that we receive from Congress. Since our basic operating expenses and administrative costs are paid from our appropriation, all donations to NIDCD are used for special projects.


How are donations used?

The projects supported through the Gift Fund may vary from year to year depending on the needs of the Institute. The following is a partial list of projects that have been supported through the Gift Fund:

  • Purchasing equipment and supplies for clinical laboratories
  • Printing pamphlets for the general public
  • Holding conferences on subjects of special importance


How can I donate to the Institute?

Contributions can be made to NIDCD by sending a check or money order payable to “The National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders” and addressed to:

Dr. James F. Battey Jr., M.D., Ph.D.
Director, National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
31 Center Drive MSC 2320
Bethesda, MD 20892-2320

Along with the check, include a letter indicating that the donation is to be used for research and related activities at NIDCD. If a contribution is to be made as a memorial, please indicate the name of the deceased as well as a name and address of the individual to whom an acknowledgment can be sent. All gifts are acknowledged.

If you are considering a bequest in a will, the will should show the address of the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders to avoid confusion about your intentions. Again, the will should indicate that the bequest is to be used to support NIDCD’s research and related activities.


What if I have more questions?

If you have any questions, please feel free to call the NIDCD Financial Management Branch at (301) 402-0497. You may also send any questions via e-mail.