In This Section
Find the latest science-based information about the health effects and consequences of drug abuse and addiction and resources for talking with kids about the impact of drug use on health.
Free Resources for Parents
Parents Discuss Drug Abuse and Addiction with Dr. Volkow, Director of NIDA
Do you know where kids get access to prescription drugs? Learn the Rx Facts.
Must-Have Resources for Parents
- Family Checkup: Positive Parenting Prevents Drug Abuse
- Addiction Science
- Marijuana: Facts Parents Need to Know (En Español)
- NIDA for Teens web site - Parents and Teachers Section
- Trends in Drug Use, High School and Youth (En Español)
- Preventing Drug Abuse Among Children and Adolescents: A Research-Based Guide for Parents, Educators, and Community Leaders, 2nd Edition (En Español)
- Drugs of Abuse - Popular among teens
- Juventud latina - Hable con sus hijos sobre las drogas y sus peligros - Invites parents to learn more about drug abuse and to talk with their children about the dangers of drug abuse; presents information on a variety of topics in one brochure
Free Resources for Teachers
- Brain Power! The NIDA Junior Scientist Program (Grades K-1)
- Brain Power! The NIDA Junior Scientist Program (Grades 2-3)
- Brain Power! The NIDA Junior Scientist Program (Grades 4-5)
- PEERx Activity Guide - Activities that raise awareness about the dangers of prescription drug abuse (Grades 9-12)
- The Sara Bellum Blog - Short and topical posts to help teens to make healthy, smart decisions (Grades 6-12)
- Brain Power! The NIDA Junior Scientist Program (Grades 6-9)
- Drug Facts Chat Day - Students ask NIDA scientists their questions about drug abuse (Grades 9-12)
- HEADS UP: Real News About Drugs and Your Body - Articles and activities from NIDA and Scholastic to educate students on the repercussions of drug use (Grades 6-10). Past Compilations and Posters are also available.
- Mind Over Matter - The effects of drug abuse on the body and brain (Grades 5-9) (En Español)
- Educational Slide Series - The consequences of drug abuse on the brain and body
- The Brain: Understanding Neurobiology Through the Study of Addiction - NIH curriculum supplement series (Grades 9-12)
- Science Education Grant and Contract Information
- NIDA Goes Back to School - Science-based publications and teaching materials (Online ordering available)
- NIH Science Education - Curricula for elementary, middle, and high school classes
- ¿Qué sabemos de la adicción? - Videos and presentation materials for a lesson in Spanish (Grades 9-12)
Looking for Treatment?
Use the SAMHSA Treatment Locator or 1-800-662-HELP.
Prescription Drug Abuse
Learn what you can do to
prevent medicine abuse at