Division of Self-Determination
Created by the Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act of 1975, the Division of Indian Self-Determination is charged with the responsibility to further American Indian tribes’ exercise of Self-Determination as a matter of policy. The Division also carries out the Delegation of Authority Initiative which allows for the delegation of authority for the administration and oversight of self-determination contracts and grants to the agency level.
The Division carries out its responsibilities by providing training and technical assistance to BIA regional and agency employees, tribal officials and their staffs.
The Division oversees the procedures for the delegation of authority for self-determination contracts and grants to the regional and agency levels of the BIA. This involves review of regional and agency Implementation Plans to ensure they have the capability to administer and oversee self-determination contract and grants. It also involves review and approval of qualifications of BIA employees applying for certification as awarding officials based on the Awarding Official Certification System Handbook (AOCS) and 13 IAM Chapters 2, 3 and 4.
Excerpts From Indian Affairs Manual that pertain to Self-Governance
- 13 IAM Part 1 - Authorities and Waivers (.pdf) - 12 KB
- 13 IAM Part 2 - Implementation (.pdf) - 126 KB
- 13 IAM Part 3 - Awarding Official Certification (.pdf) - 177 KB
- 13 IAM Part 4 - Awarding Official Standard of Conduct (.pdf) - 144 KB
- Interagency Handbook (.pdf)
- Delegation of Authority (.pdf) - 130 KB
Contract Support Cost
- Contract Support Cost Handbook
- Contract Support Cost Policy
- Contract Support Cost Shortfall Report
- Contract Support Cost Shortfall Report (Spreadsheet xls. - 1.36 MB)
- FY 2013 Self Determination Training Handbook (.docx)
- Dear Tribal Leaders Letter - (.pdf) Letter informing the tribes about the 638 training video modules available
- P.L. 93-638 Law
- Part 900
Keep the following in mind
- Training videos will take about an hour or more to complete
- If you close out of the window you will have to start from the beginning again, so please make sure that you have enough time and are careful about closing the window.
- Training videos are prone to long loading and buffering times. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your patience.
- In order to submit quiz results you must get an acrobat.com account.
Memorandum of Understanding
- Bureau of Indian Education - Office of Indian Service (.pdf) - 120 KB
- Office of Indian Services - Office of Facilities Management and Construction (.pdf - 3.43 MB)
- Office of Indian Services - Office of Special Trustee (.pdf - 3.25 MB)