Email Updates E-mail subscriptions envelope Font Size Reduce Text Size Enlarge Text Size     Print Print     Download Reader PDF

Search HHS Frequent Questions (FAQs)
To search, enter a keyword or keywords (below) or Browse Categories

How do I order a birth, death, or marriage certificate?

Birth, death, and marriage certificates are issued by state government vital records offices. To obtain a certificate if you were born in the US, you will need to contact the vital records office in the state where the event occurred. To find state vital records offices, go to

If you are foreign-born, but are a US Citizen, information is available at:

If you have any questions about a document issued by a state government vital records office, please contact that office for further assistance.

Last Updated: 08/31/2009

Related Categories:

Let us know what you think! Or suggest a new question...
Rate How Helpful: