Updated 01/23/2013 03:26 PM   |   ID# 1694

Changing my citizenship in Social Security’s records

How do I change my citizenship in Social Security’s records?

To change your citizenship shown on our records:


Step 1: Gather documents proving your:


Step 2: Complete an Application for a Social Security Card.


Step 3: Take or mail your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office or your local Social Security Card Center.


All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. We will return any documents you mail to us, along with a receipt.


Important Information


We will mail your card as soon as we have verified your documents. You should receive your card within 10 business days from the date on your receipt. Your replacement card will have the same number as the previous card.

More Information

Documents You Need for a Social Security Card.

Give us some feedback.

Did this answer your question?
Please tell us why this did not answer your question, and how we can make it more useful. Please do not include your Social Security Number or any other personal information since we only collect your responses to help us improve our answers.

Sorry, we cannot respond to your feedback.

Didn't find what you were looking for?