Printer Friendly

I-539, Application To Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status

Purpose of Form :
For nonimmigrants to request extensions of stay or changes from one nonimmigrant category to another nonimmigrant category. (You may also file this form online.) Please see the form's instructions for your specific nonimmigrant visa category.
This form also is used by F and M nonimmigrants seeking reinstatement of status; K-3/4 nonimmigrants requesting extensions of stay; and by persons seeking V nonimmigrant status while in the United States or an extension of stay as a V nonimmigrant.
Number of Pages :
Form 5; Instructions 10.
Edition Date :
12/18/12 (10/07/11; 01/19/11; 11/23/10; 07/15/10; 12/11/09; 06/12/09 editions also accepted)
Where to File :

Depending on your personal preference and nonimmigrant category, there are three ways to file this form with USCIS: 

  • If eligible, you can file using the new USCIS Electronic Immigration System, USCIS ELIS
  • If you are not eligible to file using USCIS ELIS, you may still file online using our legacy e-Filing system. You will be able to file your form and pay your fees online, but you will have to mail your supporting documents to the USCIS office processing your application. 
  • You can file a paper application. Check this link for the address to mail your form: Form I-539 Direct Filing Addresses (Paper Application).  

Who can use USCIS ELIS? 

In this initial release of USCIS ELIS, certain applicants can electronically file the Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status.


If you want to

And you



Extend status

are a B-1, B-2, F-1, M-1 or M-2

you can use USCIS ELIS

  • Individuals in the F-1 classification who received a date-specific visa that requires completion of a given course of study within a specific time can extend status in USCIS ELIS.
  • Other F-1s are admitted for duration of status and should contact their designated school official to extend status.

Change status

want to become a B-1, B-2, F-1, F-2, J-1, J-2, M-1 or M-2

  • An M-1 student may not change status to an F-1 student

Reinstate status

were a F-1 or M-1


  • The spouse or child of an F-1 or M-1 student may be included in the principal’s benefit request.


Filing Fee :
Special Instructions :

Filing a Paper Application at a USCIS Lockbox Facility: 

For Residents in the Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI):

You must follow additional guidance if you are requesting an initial grant of nonimmigrant status in the Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI).  For more information, please visit the grant of status webpage.

When completing your Form I-539, please list your CNMI Post Office Box when asked for a street or physical address. Send all filings for employment or services in the CNMI, regardless of classification, to: 

California Service Center
P.O. Box 10698
Laguna Niguel, CA 92607-1098

Send all courier/express deliveries to:

California Service Center
24000 Avila Road
2nd Floor, Room 2312
Laguna Niguel, CA 92677

Dependents of E-2 CNMI Investors:

If you are filing Form I-539 seeking the nonimmigrant status of E-2 CNMI Investor, you must file Form I-539 with the USCIS California Service Center at the addresses listed above, regardless of whether you are filing with the principal’s Form I-129.  If you are requesting an initial grant of nonimmigrant status in the CNMI, please follow the instructions on the grant of status webpage.  You should submit your application with: 

  1. Form I-129, Petition for Alien Worker, filed for that E worker, or a copy of the filing receipt noting that the petition is pending with USCIS; or 
  2. A copy of the E-2 CNMI Investor’s Form I-94 or approval notice showing that he or she has already been granted status to the period requested on your application; and 
  3. Evidence of relationship (example: marriage or birth certificate).

B Nonimmigrants:

If you are filing an extension of stay as a B-2 nonimmigrant visitor, download Form M-752, Helpful Filing Tips for Form I-539.

If you are a B1 or B2 visitor who wishes to enroll in school, you must file a Form I-539 to change your status. Please see the link Special Instructions for B-1/B-2 Visitors Who Want to Enroll in School. 

K-3/4 Nonimmigrants:

Use Form I-539 to obtain an extension of K-3/4 status while your permanent residence case is being processed. You may also submit Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, at the same time as this form to request renewal of your employment authorization. You may travel outside of the United States and be readmitted as a K-3/4, if you have a valid passport and K-3/4 visa. 

V Nonimmigrants:

Note on Filing Fee: a separate $85 charge for biometrics may also be required when the applicant is present in the United States.

See Form I-539 Supplement A, Filing Instructions for V Nonimmigrants, for special instructions. You may also submit a Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, at the same time as this form to request issuance or renewal of your employment authorization. You may travel outside of the U.S. and be readmitted as a V nonimmigrant, if you have a valid passport and obtain a V visa form the Department of State.

Note: The instructions and the form are both large files. We recommend that you do not fill out the form in your web browser, but download the file to your computer instead (for PC/Windows: by “right-clicking” on the link above and selecting “Save Target As”). After saving it to your computer, launch the form in Adobe Reader.

This page can be found at:

Last updated: 01/16/2013